Linux and games?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Duke, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Duke

Duke

I just watched a couple of videos on Youtube where people played GTA: Vice City on the Asus Eee PC 701 running XP. What about Acer One and Linux? Can I play the game or do I have to install virus... I mean Windows? ;)

One last thing, where can I find games for Linpus Linux Lite?

Duke, Jul 11, 2008
  2. Duke

Jagaer

You should be able to play older games (3+ yrs) either natively or using WINE

Native ports exist for games like Quake or Unreal Tournament
    Most games require WINE. A commercially supported version of WINE is available at http://www.transgaming.org/

I've never used Linpus, but most linux distros come with a package manager where you can download & install almost any program available to linux.

Jagaer, Jul 11, 2008
  3. Duke

glibdud

If anyone has the means and desire, I'd really like to know how Diablo II runs in Wine on Linux on the A1. :)

glibdud, Jul 11, 2008
  4. Duke

Duke

Is this compatible with Acer One, Linpus Linux Lite?

Duke, Jul 11, 2008
  5. Duke

rscutaru

Wine is fully compatible, I installed it and my gf was playign with the One :D and she doesn't know linux, downloaded winamp and installed it. It works great so yes Wine works.

rscutaru, Jul 11, 2008
  6. Duke

Duke

Nice! :D

Duke, Jul 11, 2008
  7. Duke

tiltus

I recently acquired a copy of dablo2 +lod off a certain p2p network, and am going to give it a try installing ti tonight. Does anyone know if I have to install it through wine or just play it through wine?

tiltus, Jul 14, 2008
  8. Duke

glibdud

The installer will need to run through Wine. Unless you have a hacked loader, you'll need a CD image to run the game. Just doing a "mount -o loop" never worked for me... I used CDEmu successfully under Gutsy, but I wasn't able to get it working properly in Hardy. Of course, if you have an external CD drive, that should work too.

glibdud, Jul 14, 2008
  9. Duke

tiltus

I had the iso's mounted fine with gmount-iso, but the install package wouldn't recognise itself.
    Im trying a new method atm which seems to have worked well for people online, and that's to install it on my windows machine, and then simply copy the installed files over into my .wine dir. I shall keep you informed!

tiltus, Jul 14, 2008
  10. Duke

glibdud

Interesting... that's not the first time I've heard that, but I've never had trouble installing from the ISOs through Wine.

glibdud, Jul 14, 2008
  11. Duke

tiltus

I've now got it working perfectly. I copied the install folder off my windows main and put it in ~/.wine/Program Files/Diablo 2/ folder. compatibility to xp, with wine setting to allow directx to control mouse, and allow windows manager to control windows. I only have 1 taskbar (at the top), and i set this to hide in side tab (or whatever it is).

now if you run DiabloII.exe with a "-window" added to the name in the exe properties; and click the side tab to hide your taskbar before you run the exe, then the 800x600 resolution should be displayed perfectly. the cinematics are smaller, but i'm pretty sure their res is 640x480 so it makes sense.

Now my biggest problem it to try and actually listen to my lectures instead of playing diabo!

oh just a quick note - when installing diablo on your windows pc, make sure you do a full install. after you install lod and crack it, open up the expansion cd is file browser and copy over any .mpq files to your diablo directory (it should have installed about half of them, but you need them all. now diablo is fully independent and you can take it with you.

Next thing to try is see if it can be played off usb....but i think i'll leave that for somebody else :)

tiltus, Jul 15, 2008
  12. Duke

glibdud

Awesome, nice work. Did you try full-screen at all? I know it's gonna stretch things, but I've never liked windowed games. Also, did you get far enough in to hit a spot with lots of action going on? How'd the performance hold up?

glibdud, Jul 15, 2008
  13. Duke

tiltus

I think if if unselect "letting windows manager control your windows" It plays full-screen, but all the characters look fat, haha and there seems to be no way to change diablo's resolution (besides up to 800x600). Been flat out between work and uni so haven't been able to give it a good play, but considering it's recccomended processor was a pentium 233, and the aspire has a 1.6 gig, i forsee no problems.

tiltus, Jul 16, 2008
  14. Duke

Kev50027

I wonder if the 701's underclocked Celeron is still faster than the Atom chip in the One. I know the Celeron in the EEE900 is much faster than the Atom, though it uses far more power.

As for Vice City, it ran fine on my 900 Mhz Centrino in my old Sony ultraportable. That being said, that 900 Mhz processor was probably much faster than the Atom chip.

Kev50027, Jul 16, 2008
  15. Duke

glibdud

Are there benchmarks posted somewhere? I had heard they were roughly equal.

glibdud, Jul 16, 2008
  16. Duke

Jagaer

There were some games which had a native port.

The company was Loki Games, I even bought SMAC (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri). They went out of business some time in 2001 IIRC.

Although WINE works, native ports are easier to use and less prone to crashing. I wish there was a company (other than Epic and ID) that released native binaries.

EDIT: From Wikipedia "Loki Software was founded in August 1998 by Scott Draeker and shut down in January 2002."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loki_Software

Jagaer, Jul 16, 2008
  17. Duke

Kev50027

Kev50027, Jul 18, 2008
  18. Duke

glibdud

glibdud, Jul 18, 2008
  19. Duke

shinratdr

The method for installing diablo worked great and was extremely simple, thanks.

However I'm having trouble getting a Diablo II icon to work properly in the Games folder. I created a desktop config file and it has the right icon and if you execute it within the file manager, it launches diablo fine, and it shows up in the games subdesktop with the right name and icon, but when you click it, nothing happens. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

shinratdr, Jul 19, 2008
  20. Duke

Raido

Here's a useful webpage for trying out and installing Linux games on the AOne:

http://www.ilovetux.com/2007/12/howto-i ... games.html

(Click the sidebar for related articles. Installing by going 'Alt-F2', typing 'xterm', then 'su', password, and then 'yum -y install <gamename> went well.) :)

Like this, I installed some games on the AOne 110L , like SuperTuxKart and PPRacer (Linux 3D race game, too). Note, though, that they ran fine but VERY slow (I'm talking 5 to 8 fps or so).

PPRacer I also tried on the regular EEE 4G and it ran smoothly. I suspect that either the Atom cpu is MUCH slower than the 630 MHz Celeron in the EEE (but with these games the difference amounted to about 300 per cent or more - they were less than half as fast!), or, the Linpus drivers for the GM950 GPU suck. :cry:

Maybe others can shed some light on that one, since I was disappointed that a simple 3D game that ran very smoothly on the EEE, would run slow like molasses on the One.

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 20, 2008
Ask a Question