Linux and games?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Duke, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Duke

Jagaer

Raido, if it was a precompiled binary, it is likely optimized for i686 processors (ie the Celeron)

I would be interested to see if the difference would be as large if it was compiled specifically for the Atom/GMA combo.

Jagaer, Jul 21, 2008
  2. Duke

Raido

Ah, thanks Jagaer, I hadn't taken that into consideration yet. Yes, it's entirely possible it needs recompilation to run better.

I guess we'd have to wait for the Linux gurus to prepare such binaries though - although I've worked with Linux before and know the very basics about 'make', personally I'd rather wait that one out since I have no idea about optimising things for the Atom and GMA950-type GPU's.

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 21, 2008
  3. Duke

Duke

5-8 fps... wow, that's really bad. No Vice City then... :(

Duke, Jul 21, 2008
  4. Duke

jeromlenz

This is not Vice City, it's TuxRacer! (I tried it too - what a mess! 1fps)
    I'll try Vice City...

jeromlenz, Jul 22, 2008
  5. Duke

Duke

I know it's not Vice City but if TuxRacer won't run properly, Vice City should not run at all...

Duke, Jul 22, 2008
  6. Duke

Jagaer

You have to remember that the games aren't limited by the CPU, but likely by the GPU.

The Intel GSE945: 400 MHz, Vertex & Pixel Model Shader Support and 4 Pixel Pipelines.
    BUT NO Hardware Shaders, NO VC1/AVC Hardware Support

This means that games like Civ IV which are CPU heavy, but not very demanding on the GPU, still run sluggish because all textures and 3D models are rendered through the CPU.

This isn't really meant to be a gaming platform, but games which only make use of 3D modelling should run acceptably well.

Once I receive the Aspire One, I'll post binaries of games compiled specifically for the Aspire. (Though this may require learning Linpus, I've been running Gentoo for over 5 years)

EDIT:
    Based on those requirements, the Aspire can probably run Vice City fine...as long as you don't enable AF/AA.

The bigger question is whether WINE can be compiled against the intel drivers for use with Vice City, because I doubt the precompiled binaries of WINE or Cedega is optimised for use with the new embedded systems

Yay, more to test.

(MY big concern is how it handles large KDevelop project files, and if 1.5 GB of RAM will be enough for it not to choke.)

Jagaer, Jul 23, 2008
  7. Duke

Raido

Jagaer, if you could provide some precompiled binaries for (machines technically like) the AOne, that would be more than fabulous.

That way, we'd nearly be assured that it wasn't a non-optimised binary that caused any slowdowns, and we'd also benefit by running at the max speed possible ("we" being AOne users worldwide, that is).

I'm not sure that it's the GPU itself, however, that makes simple 3D games like PPracer (Tux ski game) and Tuxracer (Tux race game) run so slowly. I've seen PPracer run on the EEE 701 and the gfx chip in that one should even be a bit slower than the chipset in our AOne.

(Note, I have basically the same GMA950 in my Mac Mini and it can run simpler 3D games like Unreal Tournament or Quake III just fine.)

I suspect that apart from a 'non-optimized' binary, it could also be that the current Linpus gfx drivers just, well, simply suck sox. :geek:

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 23, 2008
  8. Duke

cotteux

cotteux, Jul 24, 2008
  9. Duke

Christoper

Hi!

I'm really interested in the topic but where can I download a WINE (rpm file) and how will I install it to my acer one? Your help would really be highly appreciated. Likewise, what softwares will run on it?

Thanks

Chris

Christoper, Jul 24, 2008
  10. Duke

Jagaer

WINE is a Windows Compatibility layer, the download for most distros is available here: http://www.winehq.org/site/download

You should be able to follow the fedora link, but as I don't have an Aspire yet (its in the mail) I can't confirm if there are any modifications required to the install procedure.

The compatibility database (so you can see how well your apps will work with the latest version): http://appdb.winehq.org/
    Top 10 Are:
    - Guild Wars
    - Steam
    - Photoshop CS2
    - Counter Strike
    - Silkroad Online
    - Soldat
    - Day of Defeat
    - Watchtower Library
    - Live for Speed
    - Call of Duty

EDIT: Another good site for info on WINE programs is Frank's Corner: http://frankscorner.org/

Personally, I pay for Codeweavers Crossover Office. However because by work depends on certain Windows applications, the professional support provided (and bottles features) easily pay for themselves in time saved. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

Another option is WineX/Cedega, a commercial package designed to run the latest games: http://www.cedega.com/

Jagaer, Jul 24, 2008
  11. Duke

cotteux

cotteux, Jul 24, 2008
  12. Duke

cotteux

I try 2 other 3d games

Warzone 2100 3d strategy , working really great.

Nexuiz 3d RPS working but sometime the framerate go under 30 fps. Slower in single player mode than multiplayer.

for other who want mmo for linux, try this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_MMORPGs

cotteux

cotteux, Jul 25, 2008
  13. Duke

Raido

Merci Cotteux, keep them test results coming mate ;) (Oh, and installation guides / tips are always good too!) :geek:

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 25, 2008
  14. Duke

cotteux

for the installation I using add/remove program from the advance hack menu.

And for config , all game i'm using graphic at the minimum (no shadow or light)

I test glest a 3D RTS. Working great but i don't make big war with a alot of soldier to see if the game will lag.

I install Egoboo but we need to make some config modification before running.

see in the link below

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=351#p3391

Cotteux

cotteux, Jul 28, 2008
  15. Duke

Christoper

For Jagaer

Thanks so much! I had wine installed on my one. I tried some of my small exe files and its running

Christoper, Jul 29, 2008
  16. Duke

enildeR

To make things easier for new people to linux, CrossOver Games is available for linux.
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

I used it on OSX at home for Half-Life* games. Works great. I haven't had time to try it on the One yet.

enildeR, Jul 31, 2008
  17. Duke

Raido

Anyone tested multiple First Person shooters in Linux and have any idea which one performs best? (On a default 8 GB SSD / 512 MB RAM / Linpus)

I installed Nexuiz under Linpus, but FPS rates vary wildly - even in 640 x 480 windowed mode with detail turned down. Sometimes the fps gets up to about 30, but most of the time as soon as even a single bot figure comes dancing into the screen, rates instantly drop to about 8 or less. Not good.

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 31, 2008
  18. Duke

trontonic

I know this from owning a really old laptop:
    - Quake 1 and 2 should be really quick and nice
    - Cube and Sauerbraten should work well
    - Warsow should run
    - Nexuiz has very "jumpy" fps and doesn't run smoothly even on my new desktop

Also, Quake 3 works nicely - there's a video somewhere on youtube.

trontonic, Aug 1, 2008
  19. Duke

jeromlenz

jeromlenz, Aug 1, 2008
  20. Duke

Raido

Yep, I can confirm that Q3 does indeed run smoothly on the standard A110 512MB Linpus machine. I used 800x600 with most fx set to On.

(Now that I know it can handle some 3D games like this just fine, I suppose that the failure of other programs like PPRacer (Tuxracer) and Nexuiz to run smoothly is more down to non-optimised software.)

Regards, R

Raido, Aug 2, 2008
Ask a Question