Linux and games?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Duke, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Duke

jotammel

Has anyone tried Max Payne 1 on Linpus + Aspire One + Wine? So far I have managed to get to the main menu but the game itself doesn't start.

On winedb max payne is regarded as platinum and ppl say that it should work with Aspire One too... Help anyone?

jotammel, Aug 21, 2008
  2. Duke

captain semtex

I too was very disappointed to discover that PPRacer is unplayable on my 1Gb Aspire One but perfectly fine on a base Eee 701 :cry:

I read elsewhere that one possibility is the limited 8Mb video memory that is set in the bios. Although it looks like it should be possible to change this, currently it is disabled.

captain semtex, Aug 22, 2008
  3. Duke

glibdud

I don't know if it's been proven yet, but the assumption is that video memory is dynamically controlled (i.e. more RAM is assigned to video when needed).

glibdud, Aug 22, 2008
  4. Duke

kwiniarz

i'm having the same issue, it loads the menu but does nothing when i try to play

anyone have a fix for this?

kwiniarz, Aug 26, 2008
  5. Duke

3earnhardt3

Has nothing to do with the aspire one, it's the linpus OS. If you put ubuntu on the AAO PPRacer runs like a champ. This is because the linpus video driver sucks. But since most people won't be playing games on their AAO, I guess it's really not a big issue.

3earnhardt3, Aug 26, 2008
  6. Duke

jotammel

Fixed all issues by using the older wine from Pirut (0.9.47-1, not 1.0.1)

jotammel, Aug 27, 2008
  7. Duke

boino

okay, i get most of it, but i've hit two snags.
    1 i can't create a folder in the wine\program files
    2 i belive that's because i've got a sd card that the files are on, and that the original harddisk is full....

so how can i find it in wine? cause i've been looking trough the files all day, and my head is starting to hurt. any help would be helpfull

boino, Aug 29, 2008
  8. Duke

aliosa27

i used an eeepc 701 and an aspire q1 before I ditched them for the aspire one.....From what I can tell, the reason we have such issues running some of these games is because Unlike the ee/sammy's/ it looks like The bios sets the vram to 8mb ..and it just sorta stays there.....if an eee can play nexuiz/silkroad @ 900mhz & 128 megs of vram...then we should to...Going to see if there are any hacks around this

aliosa27, Sep 1, 2008
  9. Duke

Jack Vermicelli

Just installed Wine and a solitaire suite. Is there any other way to access emulated games other than through Wine File, the emulated "C:\" drive button, and then navigating to the windows installation directory, or leaving a shortcut on the desktop? Ideally I'd like to have the programs alongside the others in my right-click desktop xfce menu or readily visible through (expanding from) Wine File, but I haven't found options for either of those.

Thanks.

Jack Vermicelli, Sep 28, 2008
  10. Duke

DAVID

Hi
    My wife loves card games such as Solitaire etc... Are there any available for the AA1 available. Thanks to anyone who can help with a download.

DAVID, Oct 5, 2008
  11. Duke

JamesBarwell

Just installed Defcon on Linpus and it runs great in 1024x600. You must turn off line smoothing however else it will run like crap (and it's pretty hard to get into the menu to do it because of how slowly it runs. It's in options -> graphics -> line smoothing, you just have to be patient to get in).

JamesBarwell, Oct 19, 2008
  12. Duke

joe.pelayo

Just to testify that the Battle for Wesnoth works very well in Linpus, it is available through yum, entirely free.

Thanks.
    Joe.

joe.pelayo, Oct 25, 2008
  13. Duke

csmo

Did you try PySolFC via package manager or "sudo yum install PySolFC" from terminal?

csmo, Oct 27, 2008
  14. Duke

jsebrech

I set out to get tuxracer playable, and this is what worked for me:

1. Install the new intel driver, following the instructions from
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2481

2. Change the write-combining flag
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4256

With those settings glxgears reports 900+ scores, and tuxracer is playable (though still not silky mooth).

If anyone knows how to further improve game performance ...

jsebrech, Nov 16, 2008
  15. Duke

jsebrech

Aside from the changes above, I've just also updated mesa-libGL:
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=471

I'm now getting 960 fps in glxgears, and tuxracer is very playable.

No issues with stability or anything no longer working. Because I read the intel driver update might cause the webcam to fail, I just checked it, and it still works fine.

jsebrech, Nov 16, 2008
  16. Duke

shewitt

Hi all,

What about Native Linux games such as X2: The Threat? Do they work well on Aspire?

I tried wine and I can't seem to run anything i.e. Homeworld 2 - I get about 1 frame every 5 seconds even on low detail. Max Payne I get sound issues and game bombs out.

I'll keep on trying with Wine - I'm trawling "how to"s and forums. :)

Cheers

Steve

shewitt, Dec 4, 2008
  17. Duke

Jack Vermicelli

Pysol seems to freeze up when fullscreen is toggled. It's avoidable, but annoying. I don't suppose there's an easy fix that anyone knows about?

Jack Vermicelli, Dec 4, 2008
  18. Duke

flamingswrd

Edit: Never mind...I found my answer elsewhere....BUT could someone with personal experience answer with how it feels when it runs?

I have one very important question...has anyone tried Starcraft? :D It would be great news to hear that this system could play it (even on the lowest settings). I would test it myself, but my AAO is en route... :)

flamingswrd, Dec 4, 2008
  19. Duke

Jack Vermicelli

Feels, literally? As in temperature? The left side gets a bit toasty. The VGA-out D-sub, on the left near the exit vent, can get almost too hot to touch for very long. All in all though, shouldn't be any problem. Most of the unit gets as warm as you'd expect a running computer to be, so not bad.

Jack Vermicelli, Dec 5, 2008
  20. Duke

flamingswrd

sorry.. by feels I ment how do you think it runs (glitchy, smooth, laggy, etc). Not temperature...

flamingswrd, Dec 5, 2008
Ask a Question