Linux beside XP ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by vouty, Aug 17, 2008.

1. vouty

vouty

Hello ,
    I know almost nothing about Linux and I need XP right now.
    Later I'd like to have both Linux and XP on my AA0 but .... It'd take time to learn a little bit (I'd have free time end of september).
    So , is it a good idea to say :
    1/ I install XP
    2/ I do a backup of intallation (Ghost)
    3/ I work with this OS XP
    4/ I install Linpus later beside XP and I've choice during computer booting : XP or Linpus

Do you think it's a realistic approach ?
    Thanks for your advice.

NB : is it possible to reinstall Linpus from recovery DVD ?
    Possible with XP already on HD (and to keep XP) ?
    not easy answers I think, thanks ;)

vouty, Aug 17, 2008
  2. vouty

BlackLagoon

I don't think the Linpus recovery function will let you keep XP - I think it wipes the One completely, but you'll have to ask someone's who's used it about that. Ubuntu's installer would manage this pretty easily, but if you want Linpus, you're probably looking at something more along the lines of:

1. Install Linpus.
    2. Remove the swap partion and shrink and move Linpus' partition to the end of the disk.
    3. Create a NTFS partion at the start of the disk for XP.
    4. Install XP.
    5. Use a Linux rescue disc/USB stick to boot Linpus.
    6. Add XP to Grub's configuration and reinstall it.

Parted Magic will take care of the partitioning. Unetbootin will be of help if you need to create bootable USB sticks.

BlackLagoon, Aug 17, 2008
  3. vouty

vouty

Sorry , I undertand but my knowledgweis too small today to have a good overview.
    So, what I can say (different compared to your solution):
    If I install XP (on FAT32, Aspire one has a problem with NTFS) , I'll make a ghost which is a complete backup of the whole partition having XP.
    So , if I reinstall Linux , I'll restore my backup in a special and dedicated FAT 32 partition .

Is it possible to create a partition FAT32 with linux ?
    How will thw system propose a choice Linpus/XP at boot ?

A little bit complicate I understodd ...
    Still a realistic solution ? :?:

vouty, Aug 17, 2008
  4. vouty

Aubrey

Do you really want Linpus? It isn't bad - but it is one of several Linux distros that works OK on the AA1 and it will be a problem to reinstall as a dual boot because it is so heavily customized and doesn't have a "normal" installer.

And a dual boot set-up will really only be an option if you have the HDD version of the One. If that is the case, you could partition the drive now and install XP on one partition (say 40 or 60Gb) and leave the other partition until you are ready to try Linux. It is very easy to set up a dual boot system with XP installed first. Just a thought!

And my bet would be that by September there will be several pre-packaged AA1 versions of the major Linux distros so you could install without having to do any "tweaking".

Good Luck.

Aubrey, Aug 17, 2008
  5. vouty

vouty

I think I'll wait septembre and this week do the installation of XP.
    Linux distros : do you download a package ?
    and you which Linux do you prefer ?
    Thanks for advice ;)

vouty, Aug 18, 2008
  6. vouty

Aubrey

There are many ways to install Linux (voice of Yoda)

Most distros (named versions of desktop linux) now come as LiveCD versions - a single ".iso" file that you can download and write to CD or usb stick. You then boot with that drive selected (F12 on the acer lets you select your boot device). You get to try out the distro (in a fairly basic sort of way) without installing it.

The easiest way to try several is to find a linux magazine that comes with cover disks - they often have several recently released distros to try. The UK-based "Linux Format" is a very good source of distros and is an excellent read too. In Australia, one of most popular general computing magazines now has a different linux distro on its cover disks every month (the tide is slowly turning towards the penguin!).

You can also use Linux in a Virtual Machine installed inside XP.

Ubuntu includes a utility called "wubi" that allows you to install Ubuntu directly from Windows without partitioning. You then get a choice of booting to Windows or Ubuntu and can delete Ubuntu any time just as if it was a file on your hard drive.

There is no "best" linux distro. I personally mainly use Ubuntu (and several of its many variants) but have no issues with Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS or any of the other major and well supported distros. New users should probably avoid Gentoo, Arch and Slackware unless they are super confident or have someone to hold their hand. The truly light-weight distros like Damn Small Linux and Puppy are great but not really necessary for a machine with the power of the AA1 (they are great on vintage pentiums). Try a few of the majors as LiveCDs or in a VM and look at their web sites and forums. Use one for a while and if you don't like it for any reason, try another.

When you do install one, the dual boot option will protect you until you decide whether Linux is for you or not.

May the penguin be with you.

Aubrey, Aug 18, 2008
  7. vouty

vouty

Many thanks Aubrey,
    I'd like to start with ubuntu because one relative know this version.
    I hope to have a distros middle of september. :cool:

vouty, Aug 18, 2008
Ask a Question