[LINUX] can anybody watch youtube?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Kevan, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Kevan

Kevan

I have an A1 with linpus linux.

When i watch youtube videos in full screen mode they are very choppy and freeze constantly, even if they are completely buffered first.

Can anybody else with linpus watch youtube in full screen? is it smooth video or choppy?

kind regards
    kev

Kevan, Dec 1, 2008
  2. Kevan

gnash

Re: can anybody watch youtube?

Acceptable at full-screen but I guess that Flash hasn't really optomised for Linux as it is for Windows. But there is a delay when I want to use the controls at fullscreen so the moral of the story is to not go on fullscreen mode. I hardly use that function especially when the normal Youtube video player takes around half the screen!!

gnash, Dec 4, 2008
  3. Kevan

Kevan

Thanks for the feed back, i was not sure if the problem was just with my set up or common to all A1 linpus users. I do like to use full screen, i and my family like to watch our favorite brit tv shows, most of which are on you tube. I like to connect the A1 to my TV and watch it in full screen mode.
    I think you are correct. Adobe Flash 9 for linux is not very good.

thanks again

Kevan, Dec 4, 2008
  4. Kevan

woogal

Flash 10 works better with full screen video, but I found it wasn't always as stable so I went back to 9.

woogal, Dec 4, 2008
  5. Kevan

Kevan

Hi
    I found this work around and it does work well but its not as convenient as directly watching youtube. Its a website that you paste the youtube address into a box and it downloads the video to the A1. I then play it in VLC full screen and smooth video. I will keep looking for a permanent fix but it does seem like the Flash player in Linpus if not very good.

http://www.savevideostoipod.com/downloadyoutube/

Cheers
    kec

Kevan, Dec 4, 2008
  6. Kevan

gnash

Thats a good idea, not only that it plays smoothly that way but also you'll have a copy of that vid so you don't have to waste bandwidth if you want to watch it again. But we truly hope that one day Adobe will optomise the code for their flash player for Linux architecture. With the advent of more Linux Netbooks, they might actually do it.

gnash, Dec 4, 2008
  7. Kevan

rick

I have no problem watching youtube fullscreen without anything in the background on FF2 w/ full desktop enabled.

rick, Dec 4, 2008
  8. Kevan

Kevan

Hi Rick

Are you running linpus? have you upgraded them RAM or anything? What does full desk top enabled mean? im new to Linux and not very experienced with it. I have the basic A1, 8G SSD, 512MB RAM, linpus with advanced mode activated. I have installed VLC nad Skype.

Thanks for your post, i had beleived that everybody had trouble with Youtube full screen so i wonder what the differences are with your set up and mine.

I know some body who runs Ubuntu, Fire Fox and has no trouble with Full screen Youtube so perhaps its the Linpus thats a problem.

Cheers

Kevan, Dec 5, 2008
  9. Kevan

jonknee

He's changed it so the desktop is more conventional instead of the custom app launcher that the Aspire One defaults to (those big icons with the pre-chosen apps). I haven't done it, but I can't image memory usage would be much different. Perhaps there's a little savings.

jonknee, Dec 5, 2008
  10. Kevan

rick

I've got pretty much everything stock. 512mb ram, 8gb model with an 8gb expansion stick. FF2 (the default install, no addons). Full desktop means what jonknee said, I've just gotten rid of that basic start up screen.

I don't know why mine works.

rick, Dec 7, 2008
  11. Kevan

Kevan

I might try enabling Full Desk Top just in case it makes a difference. Im not expert at all but i would be surprised if it helped with you tube play back. I wonder if those people who can play back youtube full screen all have the full desk top enabled.

Is it possible to enable the full desktop and then switch back to the simple desktop if required?

kind regards
    kev

Kevan, Dec 9, 2008
  12. Kevan

Kev50027

Yes, it's possible to switch back.

Kev50027, Dec 13, 2008
  13. Kevan

DiSK

Mine was fine, back when I had 512MB RAM. Hmm...You mentioned you liked to watch them fullscreen on your TV? How about on your AspireOne? Is it laggy/choppy then?

DiSK, Dec 14, 2008
  14. Kevan

Kevan

Yes, its laggy and choppy video on the aspire one in full screen mode only. When in the knormal youtube window size it is fine. Its the same result on the aspire one and the Big LCD TV. I will try enabling the full desktop mode some time just in case.

cheers

Kevan, Dec 15, 2008
  15. Kevan

Wolydarg

Flash works fine on Firefox but it's really choppy on Opera for me.

My friend's AAO doesn't have the issue, only difference between our setup's is that I have Compiz enabled

Wolydarg, Dec 15, 2008
  16. Kevan

Kevan

Is Compiz a different desktop mode?

Kevan, Dec 17, 2008
  17. Kevan

Teioh

Hi, I think that my question can be asked on this topic :

I sometimes encountered a problem with youtube : when I choose an other video, firefox freezes, and I'm unable to use it. So I reboot the Aspire One. I add that I can continue to use other applications, but firefox doesn't respond anymore. And have in mind that this happens anly with youtube.

And I thought to end the firefox process, but the message " Ending a process may destroy data, break the session or introduce a security risk. Only unresponding processes should be ended. " made me change my mind. Can I end the process when this problem appears without any problem ? Is there an other solution than restart the netbook ?

Teioh, Jun 30, 2009
Ask a Question