Linux compatibility of Brother MFC Printers?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by markw10, May 8, 2009.

1. markw10

markw10

I want to purchase a new multifunction printer and am looking a lot at the brother printers. I like some of the Canon printers such as the MF6590 but don't think it works with Linux.
    I am interested in the MFC8860DN specifically but would also consider the MFC8890DW, MFC8670DN, MFC8460DN, MFC8870DW, or MFC8480DN.
    These all have features I'm interested in but I have checked both my Mandriva and Ubuntu machines and don't see a driver for either.
    Yet I do see drivers such as MFC8420 8440, 8640 8820, and 8840. Would either of these Linux drivers work with the above printers? Unfortunately with mail ordering this printer I don't want to have to pay the return shipping if it doesn't work with Linux :)

markw10, May 8, 2009
  2. markw10

solpuerto

Hi markw10

Your title mentions Brother but your text refers to Canon.
    The model numbers you specify refer to Brother, if you google foomatic you will find Brother drivers there.
    Have you looked at the Brother drivers under Printing on the Aspire, there are certainly a number of MFC drivers in the list.

Best wishes.

solpuerto, May 8, 2009
Ask a Question