Linux Crossover on Linpus

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Zeratul, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Zeratul

Zeratul

Hello,

I have just purchased an Acer Aspire One and the first thing I wanted to do was install Wine so that I could run my Windows applications.
    I have been using Windows all of my life and this is the first time that I have ever tried to use a Linux OS on a personal computer. I believe that I successfully installed Crossover (.rpm) but I have been unable to run it. I get a Fatal Error:
    "Unable to find the 'default' bottle:
    bottle 'default' not found in 'home/user/.cxoffice'
    bottle 'default' not found in '/opt/cxoffice/support'
    This occurs no matter what I'm trying to open, including the cxbottlemanager.
    I tried to rectify the problem by specifying where to look by modifying cxbottle.conf, as suggested in the cxbottlepath.html file. However, I cannot write to cxbottle.conf; I get an error message saying "Can't open file to write"
    What really burns me is that I cannot even open the file locations because I do not have the Nautilus file manager, which does not exist for the XFCE desktop environment; I would have to get Gnome for that, but: a) I don't want to change my desktop; b) I tried to get Gnome and KDE on separate occasions while simultaneously uninstalling the XFCE desktop environment and I get some kind of error (idk, it says that there is a missing file required for installation).

Anyways, if anyone knows how to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Also, if anyone can advise me on how to access the location of my Crossover installation 'opt/cxoffice/...,' in file manager, I would appreciate that as well.

I guess if worst comes to worst, I could always revert to Windows XP...

Thanks.

Zeratul, Sep 1, 2008
  2. Zeratul

Ceno

In linux files have permissions. It seems to me that you need root permissions to modify cxbottle.conf , so in the terminal hit "sudo thunar" and go from there.
    I have never used crossover, so this is all I got, hope it helps

Ceno, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question