Linux Folder quota issues

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alansun, Jan 10, 2009.

1. alansun

alansun

Hi,

I am using Audacity. However, I noticed the following folder only have 256MB space left.
    /tmp/audacity1,2-user

Can I extend it to 1G, due to my aspireone have more than 3G left. Do you have any clue? (I mean any command to change disk quota etc)

Thanks in advance,

alansun, Jan 10, 2009
  2. alansun

daldred

It's in the temprorary filespace (/tmp) which on the One (or at least on the SSD version) is mapped into memory rather than disk space - so the limitation isn't the SSD space, it's the memory on the machine; and you don't want to get that filled up or nothing else will run! Having temporary files in memory on the SSD version is a good idea for two reasons: first, they tend to get a lot of writes, possibly hitting the SSD life, second, read and write from SSD is a lot slower than from memory.

Looking at Audacity on my desktop machine, there is an option for where the temporary files live: Edit -> Preferences, then select Directories. You could try switching to using a new directory on your SSD (say /home/user/.audacitytmp) and see how well it works for you; I'd recommend noting down the original location so that you can switch back to it if Audacity's performance suffers too much. Note that if you do switch back you'll need to delete the directory on your SSD manually afterwards.

daldred, Jan 10, 2009
  3. alansun

alansun

Thanks David,

After I think about the advantage and disadvantages, I decided to keep it default. What I need to do is don't record in CD quality. Thanks.

Alan.

alansun, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question