Linux Linpus - Acer Aspire One - activate normal Desktop

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Tybor, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tybor

sun_one

ended up sending the one for repair. :(

sun_one, Jul 24, 2008
  2. Tybor

Bouchmil

I have removed the search bar simply by commenting the following line of /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc

"
    # Clien3_Command=/usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh
    "

I am not sure that it"s a good way to do it but I don"t think it broke anything else :p ...

Bouchmil, Jul 25, 2008
  3. Tybor

Neuromante

I did it too. All ok after that (removed yesterday).

¿Someone knows how to activate preferences on XFCE Panel?
    I'm with blocked XFCE Panel and there is no way to configure it.

Sorry for my english! (I hope that you can understand me).

Neuromante, Jul 25, 2008
  4. Tybor

Bobert

Hello, i did everything stated on the Above even Su with my password (to be root in terminal) and i still cant save the file to have the desktop by default
    it keep saying "cant open file to write"

What i did is : open terminal type SU,enter my password.
    then i open session.rc in a notepad alike and i try to change my desktopnew to desktop-xfce but it dont wanna save itself.

Bobert, Jul 25, 2008
  5. Tybor

Tybor

Hi Bobert,

How did you start the notepad?

gr33tz,
    Tybor

Tybor, Jul 25, 2008
  6. Tybor

Bobert

Sup,i found my problem. BUT i have some other problems.. damnit

It's because once i entered Root password and stuff, to open the file i was using it with the Search engine.(the lazy way out)

but once i got it with the file manager i could save it.

now it's working. But when i reboot,i have no icon at all!
    no trash bin,no nothing. any ideas?

Edit: ive checked serval post before me,and it say that to add icon i must open file manager and go in USR/ ect. but in the file manager i open (right click on desktop --> file manager)
    i dont see USR,i only see Documents,download,music,pictures,videos,ect if i do "open parent" at this lvl it bring me alot of grey folder and a "local" folder with a HD icon on it. but none are USR folder.

I had the advanced file manager before i edited "xfce-session.rc" (and all my desktop icons,like file manager(the good/advanced one,trash bin ,ect) but since i rebooted nothing

Edit2: sometimes i even randomly lose the Search bar and all windows close themselves. umm!

Bobert, Jul 25, 2008
  7. Tybor

van_stonesky

half of the functions in the advanced mode right click is not working for me, for instance, I can't set up the hotkey as the method you mentioned (but I could before switched to the 'normal desktop'). How did you get them back to work? and is it a sure thing now or every time you reboot you still lose your settings?

van_stonesky, Jul 25, 2008
  8. Tybor

van_stonesky

there will be icons once you first switch to the normal desktop, you need to add the icons by yourself as suggested by the previous posts

and to find the files you need, you can either just type in the box in the file manager the directory or go to terminal, log in as root, and then type in 'thunar &', that will give all the folders that you normally would not see

hope it helps

van_stonesky, Jul 25, 2008
  9. Tybor

Bobert

Ya its working i have access to the advanced file manager now,but when i click on firefox for instance and i try to drag it to my desktop it slide back to the file manager window and nothing appear on my desktop.
    And i still randomly lose the search bar top right. i dont know why or how! And sometimes all my windows close themselves!.... and the search bar pop back..

Bobert, Jul 26, 2008
  10. Tybor

Neuromante

I changed Desktop permissions.

sudo thunar
    Go to /root , right button on Desktop and properties. Permissions and mark read and write for users group.

Maybe works.

Neuromante, Jul 26, 2008
  11. Tybor

pattern_recognition

Kev and/or Tybor,

Thank you for this nice clear explanation. All of this works for me except that I can't figure out how to open 'xfce4-session.rc' with write permissions! How did you do it?

pattern_recognition, Jul 27, 2008
  12. Tybor

Neuromante

I did with vim.
    If you dont know to use vim:
    Terminal
    cd etc/xdg/xfce4-session/
    sudo mousepad xfce4-session.rc

Neuromante, Jul 27, 2008
  13. Tybor

thomas

Another way to go is this one:

1. Install EeeDora on a USB stick (just as Linpus lite is an optimized branch of Fedora for the AA1, Eeedora is an optimized branch of Fedora for the EeePc).

1.1. Download the ISO version:
    http://eeedora.coderseffigy.com/EeeDora ... 01h15m.iso
    1.2. Save the ISO somewhere memorable - it'll be <350Mb
    1.3. Since you're running a flavour of Fedora you can use the linux command livecd-iso-to-disk XYZ.iso /dev/sdb1, where XYZ.iso is the name of the ISO file, and /dev/sdb1 is the name of the USB key partition where you want the image.
    The image is added non-destructively, so other files on the disk should be preserved.
    If you don't have ”livecd-iso-to-disk” installed, you will need to install the ”livecd-tools” package (and dependencies). The easiest way to to this is to use yum:
    sudo yum install -y livecd-tools

2. Change your BIOS in that way your AA1 will boot from your USB stick.

3. Boot from your USB stick.
    Now you'll see the standard xfce desktop.
    Your box is running now a Fedora Linux flavour from a Live USB stick.
    It should be harmless: the content of your Linpus HD should be preserved.

You can also use this trick to make a byte-exact backup of your Linpus HD via the linux dd command to a usb stick or photo card.

thomas, Jul 29, 2008
  14. Tybor

pattern_recognition

Thank you Neuromante! It worked. I wasn't using sudo correctly. I'm old fashioned and used to simply logging in as 'root' to edit system files. And of course you don't log in on the Aspire One.

Anyway, it worked, I now have a nice clean, 'real' desktop with the logo of a little mouse or rat or something. The only problem is that lots of the functionality is now gone :-( By that I mean a lot of the system setting options when you right click don't do anything when you select them. For example it's impossible to access 'desktop settings'. The entry is there on the menu when I right click on the desktop but it doesn't do anything. Therefore it's impossible to set wall paper. Other things also seem to be unresponsive.

I see from a quick scan of some other posts that other people have had similar problems but I don't know if anyone has found a fix. The answer may simply be that you have to install a different OS as Thomas has described in the post right above this one. (Although I don't think I'd want a USB disk permanently sticking out the side of my machine. That's fine for testing but I reckon it would be kind of awkward and defeat the ultra portability e.g. on the train I'd be likely to brush the USB disk against the seat or someone's arm when the OS is trying to read from it.) I'm slightly dreading installing a different OS to the internal memory because it sounds like getting the wireless drivers working will be a bitch but I may have to. There are a lot of compact versions of other Linux flavours floating around now intended for the eee PC. One guy here http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=11114 claims he got the Sabayon mini version working with wifi on the eee pc so I might give that a go. Has anyone else had any luck goo or bad with other distro or getting the bundled distro to behave like a real OS instead of a crippled appliance?

pattern_recognition, Jul 30, 2008
  15. Tybor

janss

In terminal, command "su -" and you will be root.

janss, Jul 30, 2008
Ask a Question