Linux: Possible to use FAT SD card?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Skittler, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Skittler

Skittler

This is all using the 'card reader' slot, not the 'expansion' slot.

I inserted an SD card (FAT32) that I had been using on a Windows XP laptop. No problem. Card appears in File Manager and I can write to it. This allows me to transfer files to/from my XP laptop and my Linux Aspire One. So far, so good.

I have a Panasonic Lumix FX35 camera which uses SD cards in FAT format. How can I get the Aspire One to read them? After a day of photo taking I want to be able to take the card from the camera and put it into the Aspire One for easier viewing (and possible editing with GIMP, say).

It doesn't seem to automatically recognise a FAT SD card in File Manager. Will a FAT SD card work, and how do I get to use it?

Thanks,
    Dave.

Skittler, Sep 20, 2008
  2. Skittler

kevin

I just put a FAT-formatted card from my camera into the card reader slot, and the Linput file manager popped up pointing that the right place. I'm not sure why/if it doesn't work for you -- it should do.

kevin, Sep 20, 2008
  3. Skittler

Skittler

Well, guess what Kevin? I've just done it again and it works absolutely fine.
    I have no idea why it wasn't working earlier.

Sorry everyone for the intrusion - you can all go back to sleep now.

Skittler, Sep 20, 2008
Ask a Question