LINUX users that pine for windows XP on SDHC/USB/HDD

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by chupachups, Dec 29, 2008.

1. chupachups

chupachups

I'm sure this won't be a solution for everyone (gamers come to mind), but it is possible to run Windows XP under LINUX, via the use of virtualbox

When creating a virtualmachine, you can specify an SDHC, a USB memory stick, or as I have done just kept it on my HDD

Using dynamic disks, a new XP install takes up only 1.44GB, which then grows as you install more s/w, until it reaches the max you specify for the virtual machine

This evening I've managed to install Windows XP Pro and will be checking out the functionality over the next few days. I'll try to post some jpgs over the next few days to show

Thanks goes to macles again for this tip

http://macles.blogspot.com/

Took me a couple of hours of messing around, with downloads and retries etc, but possible to complete in an evening with the biggest time drain the actual XP install

NB I took the easy option and created an iso of the winxp install disk, and mounted this image in virtualbox, so no need for physical cdrom drives or usb stick installs

chupachups, Dec 29, 2008
  2. chupachups

champagj

I'd like to add a bit of my experience on running XP with VirtualBox

Definitely a valid option. The advantage is that you do not have to dual boot and have access to both "machine" at all time.

If you are running the Aspire One SSD version (like I do) I recommend you place your VDI on external media. I am using the SD card (16G class 6) on the left for this.

NOTE: SD cards are usually formatted as FAT32. Your vdi (virtual drive) is limited to 4G under FAT32 which very small for XP.

I have successfully formatted the SD card under ext2 (using Gparted) and created a 12G vdi for XP.

As a bonus with VirtualBox you can use remote desktop from another XP machine to "boot" your XP machine.
    Even better you can remove the SD card from the Aspire One and insert it into another computer with Virtual Box installed and run your "machine".

It's not for Photoshop users or gamers but it runs fine for office applications.

champagj, Jan 10, 2009
Ask a Question