Linux version for AAO 150 wanted

Discussion in 'Linux' started by serverius, Nov 13, 2008.

1. serverius

serverius

Hey all,

I have a question about linux. I have the aao 150 with XP installed. now i'm looking for a good linux version to use as secondary OS.
    What would be the best linux to choose ? ubuntu ? knoppix ? ... and are there version that are designed for use on a USB stick ? (had one for my eee pc and it worked very well)
    And how do i install a linux version to my usb stick (under xp if possible). Other option is installing it as a secondary os on the harddrive, but is this possible with the xp already installed ? and how to do this ? sorry if some of these questions have already been answered in other topic's (tried searching but didn't find any answers yet.still quite of a linux n00b hehehe)

Greeting,

Jimmy

serverius, Nov 13, 2008
  2. serverius

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Nov 13, 2008
  3. serverius

daldred

It's certainly possible: Linux generally respects any other operating system which is already installed and offers to re-partition space on your drive for you so that you can have Linux working alongside another system. Decide how much space you want left to Windows carefully before you get to this stage, though; sorting it out afterwards is more complex.

You may need to defrag the disk under Windows first, but if you've not been running Windows for too long it probably hasn't spread itself too much just yet.

Note, though, that if you decide to reinstall Windows for any of the usual Windows reasons, it isn't so neighbourly and will remove access to your Linux installation on the way in!

daldred, Nov 13, 2008
  4. serverius

rbil

That's where a backup of the MBR comes in useful. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 13, 2008
  5. serverius

donec

I have found Mandriva 2009 Gnome the easiest to install and get things to working. So of course I recommend it for you Linux version but I have heard that Mepis works with the AAO and in the past I found it to be the most stable Linux out there (Mandriva so far is looking as stable). Ubuntu for me requires way too many hacks to get it working and then when it updates you often loose wireless.

donec, Nov 13, 2008
  6. serverius

sumcocan

Ubuntu Hardy heron 8.04.1... kernel 19... the new kernel makes problems.

a friend of mine has eeeubuntu, works fine too.

sumcocan, Nov 13, 2008
  7. serverius

Infected24

Install Ubuntu.

TRUST ME, IT WORTHS.
    The main reason is because you can configurate EVERY single pixel in the screen, customize is only the beginning.

The most easy way to install ubuntu and keep windows xp in the process is installing it (ubuntu) using WUBI.

Infected24, Nov 13, 2008
  8. serverius

serverius

Ok i installed the last ubuntu version a few days ago using the wubi like you said and i must say that it runs real smooth.
    Still have a bit of learning to do on how to configure everything but i must say that i like it a lot.

Thanks for all the reply's you gave me.

serverius, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question