LInux versus windows

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Screen, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Screen

Screen

I own an aspire one with operating system LInux (originally delivered) .. I wand to change to windows XP or 7 .. is this possible and what do I have to do? (Sorry if this is a silly question). Thanks!

Screen, Jul 31, 2011
  2. Screen

Cushie

I run Ubuntu 11.10 which is dual booted with the original Linpus which is a great option.

Beats Windoze hands down, the free OS includes firewall, anti virus and all the software you may require. (You could run Windoze on 'Virtualbox' inside Ubuntu if you have need.)

Cushie, Nov 24, 2011
  3. Screen

Swarvey Moderator

If you want to upgrade to Win7 you dont really need much:
    * First of all, make a system backup (if you can in the preinstalled linux) so if you ever need to recover, you can.
    * Upgrade the RAM in your machine, Windows 7 runs comfortably on my D250 with 2Gb, but the more the merrier, check out the compatible RAM thread
    * Make sure you have plenty of storage space, after installing Win7 Ultimate, Office 2007 and a couple of other small apps, you'll find you've used quite a few gigabytes of space, in my opinion you'll want about 40gigabytes worth of hard drive space to comfortably install win7, your apps and still have space left for documents etc.
    * An external USB DVD-RW would be the easiest way to install Win7, but Ive read about people creating bootable installers on USB flash drives.

XP Requires even less:
    * XP will run on 512Mb RAM, your machine should have shipped with at least 1Gb so that's fine
    * Storage space is also less, maybe about 20-30Gb in total for Windows and apps with enough left for docs etc
    * Same as Win7 I still recommend a USB DVD-RW for installing, but have also heard of people using USB Flash drives for installing.

If your preference is Windows, go for it, it's not entirely difficult and the AAO's can indeed handle it. If you want to stay with Linux, I also recommend Ubuntu, but haven't had the best of experiences with it.

Swarvey, Nov 24, 2011
Ask a Question