linux4one

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 2manydjs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. 2manydjs

woodland

woodland, Jan 7, 2009
  2. 2manydjs

riot

Just a note on that. There's a guy in the arch linux forums that compiled in some ath5k patches that enable the WiFi LED. So the patches should be rolling out at some point in an ath5k update I would assume. Someone might try patching this into sickboy's kernel or something.

Posts are here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=51796&p=31 by user "Tera"

I ran that kernel and can verify the LED lights do work on my AAO. Unfortunately I had suspend to ram problems with it and haven't messed with it further.

riot, Jan 7, 2009
  3. 2manydjs

woodland

As promised: 20.44 hours: "The Cold Boot"

(untweaked) Boot time..... 52 seconds ... full desktop and online (all by itself). (wow!)
    if we looze the "silly" start up music we could do better.... (IMHO)

"Prob" 1
    WIth 2 sd drives inserted before boot they were not recognized....
    "pushed" them out, pushed them back in... Bingo! both SD drives: online.

"Prob" 2
    silly prob: i tried tweaking my mouse in: 'Preferences" , "mouse preferences" and i lost all acceleration(?), even after the reboot (?)

Solution/workaround:
    open a terminal (Alt-F2)
    enter: gnome-terminal, click run
    type: xset m 8/10 7, Hit the Enter key (i love a fast mouse, controlled by my fingertips and hate to move my hand ;) )

type: xset -q for current settings
    type: xset -? for help

you probably can loose above mentioned actions by moving them to the 'startup" (excuse me for "slipping back in to the MS Windows terminology here") files.
    (the proper Linux name is autostart/config or something: hey i'm no Linux Guru; i'm a hardware geek ;) )

Guys & Girls ;) If you can live with a 52 seconds boot up and with the 2 "problems' mentioned above.... it looks like Linux4One is a winner!
    and.......Remember it's only RC2 ..... The Future Looks bright.. :D

Totally forgot to mention: All the Acer Fn-keys are working as advertised.. (Those Linux4One guys are really cool!) Kudos, Kudos, Kudos!)

Enjoy Linux4One; http://www.linux4one.it/forum/index.php?topic=104.0

Regards,
    Woodland

@riot:
    Thx for the info.
    I have not experienced any suspend problems yet but i haven't tested for them so i can give you no info on that.
    The guys from Linux4One told me they are working on the WiFi Led and they expect to have it up and running in RC3.
    as long as the wifi is working i can live without the Led.. ;)

woodland, Jan 7, 2009
  4. 2manydjs

ryo-saeba

First of all, thanks to all those who are using and have tested linux4one! We're in the process of translating the official guides into english on our official forum to help out all the foreing users as well. The steps and modifications to better linux4one are still many and I hope you'll keep supporting us with your enthusiasm and on-hand testing. if someone would like to collaborate with us, let's say by creating a splash screen, we'll be waiting for you on the official forum. Please be patient if the english support is still slow but it's just two of us that develop linux4one + another two who help out on the forum....and the only funding we have is from the google adverts :mrgreen: Thanks once again from all of us!

ryo-saeba, Jan 8, 2009
  5. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 9, 2009
  6. 2manydjs

woodland

Hi ryo-saeba,

I would like to thank you guys for giving me a fully working AA1.
    You guys are way ahead of Acer and Linpus..... Not bad for a two man "corporation".. i tip my hat to you guys!
    and thx for your thx :)

Hi csmo, thx

I'm still a very happy Linux4One user: haven't come across any real problems in using it the last 2 days

Linux4One is the same as UNR in look and feel as far as i can tell, but all your hardware works.. (I love to use that internal mic in Skype)

Your Question:
    The Installation procedure for Linux4One is the standard Ubuntu installation so if you go for manual partitioning of your SSD i don't see a problem there BUT i haven't tested it.

Hope this helps you out, i can only say give it a try, Linux4One made me happy, hope it will do the same for you

woodland, Jan 9, 2009
  7. 2manydjs

Shad0wguy

Downloading now. I hope it works as well as you all make it out to be.

Shad0wguy, Jan 9, 2009
  8. 2manydjs

ryo-saeba

For Cosmo:
    you're correct when you say all the Ubuntu fixes have been included along with others. However if you visti our forum, we'll be more than happy to help. We're currently trying to improve the English support section.

I take advantage of this to announce that I will briefly post on the official forum regarding the improvements of the new version. Furthermore, I'm preparing a "light" version, without any games, amule, bookreader..probably also without openoffice but with ABIword etc...any suggestions are welcome!

ryo-saeba, Jan 9, 2009
  9. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 9, 2009
  10. 2manydjs

woodland

@ Shad0wguy

I'm just a Linux4One "fanboy" and in no way a linux expert ...
    I'm just relaying my good experiences with Linux4one. I've tested several other distro's and this one worked best for me.
    Linux4One still has some issues with resume after standby i.e. no sound after resume but that's about the biggest prob i've come across
    Please note it's (only) RC2! Check out the Linux4One forum before you do anything "drastic"

and before you come over and shoot me ;) make a backup plz
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html

woodland, Jan 9, 2009
  11. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 9, 2009
  12. 2manydjs

hillsoft

You should probably be able to use Ghost for Linux

http://g4l.sourceforge.net/

You can back up whole drives or partitions with it.

Supports backing up over the network or to other drives (HD or flash type).

hillsoft, Jan 9, 2009
  13. 2manydjs

woodland

@ csmo,

well i'm glad you hijacked the thread, didn't know/realize that it doesn't work with Ubuntu.
    (whats in a name huh AA1Backup :lol: )

since i am by no means an expert and i just don't know and the Linux4One team is asking for Input and suggestions plz go to their forum and ask them or ask them to include it in the next distro.

http://www.linux4one.it/forum

again thx for waking me up ;)

both you and HILLSOFT
    thx for pointing me in the direction of a solution

Hold the train just found this bit on Macles:

woodland, Jan 10, 2009
  14. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 10, 2009
  15. 2manydjs

woodland

hi csmo,

i can't pm you for some reason??? so i'll post it here:

dowloaded and "chmod'edd" AA1backup Version 1.1 on Linux4one ...all went smooth as silk
    made a backup... smooth as silk.
    have to get some sleep now... but i've no reason to assume the restore (tomorrow..need some sleeep) won't be smooth as silk

Sleep well All, signing off,
    woodland

woodland, Jan 10, 2009
  16. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 11, 2009
  17. 2manydjs

Guest Guest

Hello Woodland. Would you care to share with the forum how you made the wifi working. In my opinion any forum is a place to share info, not just posting messages that "I got wifi working", and then drop to explain howto.
    The reason for me being a bit picky here is that I have just that problem. It really winds me up reading: Wifi OK out of the box.
    Well not really. I got wifi at first, but then it cant connect, it keeps nagging about wrong password. Lets put it this way, I know the password for my router, and Im not typing it f@*#.. wrong. I use a Linksys WRT54G with DD-wrt.
    Some help would really be nice here. I am not really a newbie at Ubuntu, but its been a while since I last used it, and then I was not really an expert. I would really hate going back to windows.

Frode

Latest news from the land of the polar bear.
    Been trying most things now, but in my opinion this distro sucks big heary ba....s.
    Everything is just fine apart from the wifi. Since it's supposed to be a netbook who in my case does not access the internet by wifi, well then it is just a book. No wait, its not even that, its just a plastic thing with som electonics inside, useless in this state.
    I hate this, what I hate even more is that Microsoft will make it work, and soon I am forced to go down that road.
    (I could really need to break something right now, that would feel just fine)

Guest, Jan 12, 2009
  18. 2manydjs

adipradana

Regarding the macles backup utility, it worked fine for me backing up and restoring gOs (ubuntu based), so i think it should work with other ubuntu based distro's.

adipradana, Jan 14, 2009
  19. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 14, 2009
  20. 2manydjs

CRMurray

I'm trying to change Linpus to Linux4one, as being new to linux I wanted to install an os that wouldn't need me to try and tweek too much.

But I'm onto my third try to installing Linux4one. I'm installing using a usb stick created using unebootin. The how tos on linux4one's website were simple enough. My problem first time round happened when it had installed and was ready to reboot. I left the usb stick in when rebooting and got a message to remove the cd, close the tray and press enter. So, I removed the usb stick and pressed enter. After that the screen just froze and did nothing for about 45 mins. I had to re-install linpus. The second time round, I removed the usb stick and then tried to press reboot and again the screen froze. So I've now restored linpus twice.

I know its me doing something daft and onto the third attempt. Should I be removing the usb stick at all when its at the reboot stage? Or should it be left in?

I am also downloading the iso again and if the third attempt doesn't work I'll try and to recreate a new usb.

Any help would be appreciated!

Colin

CRMurray, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question