linux4one

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 2manydjs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 15, 2009
  2. 2manydjs

CRMurray

Hi csmo,

Thank you for your reply.

It is finally working after my third attempt. But that was after using the advice given by The IT Crowd. I turned it off and back on again. And low and behold it booted up ok.

I got the advice about checking the md5 checksum from the linux4one forum but haven't tried it, since its apparently working. I have downloaded a new iso and will try and check the checksum later. Taking a break from it as its taking me all day. :)

But don't worry I'm sure I'll have a ton of other questions soon. As I'm now looking to download songbird (or if someone knows of a better program that will get podcasts and has no problem syncing with a 3rd gen nano).

On the upside at least I know that my linpus backup usb stick works!

I think I need a trip to the library and get out some beginner books on linux.

CRMurray, Jan 15, 2009
  3. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 15, 2009
  4. 2manydjs

adipradana

I've installed linux4one. So far i think it is quite good. I'll break down the positives and negatives:

Positive:
    - Easy installation, with most of the optimisation and tweaks already implemented
    - Snappy and responsive system. So far i used linpus, fedora, gOS, mandriva, but i think this is so far the best system i've tested.
    - Reasonably fast boot times without any tweaks. Around 40 - 50 sec until usable system (including wifi).
    - Updates so far works and doesn't break the system.
    - Sound works & mic works (haven't tested external mic)
    - sd cards work

Negatives:
    - Wifi took several times booting to get to work. Now it seems ok, but not so sure.
    - Missing several useful apps like pidgin, office impress, rythmbox etc. But easy to install.
    - No blinking wifi leds
    - Not to important but linux4one artwork in netbook remix interface not so good (can i change this?)
    - left sd cards need to be removed and reinserted to show
    - Battery life not the best. About 1:40. Or is it just my batteries going bad? :(

Haven't tested anything else, i'll post additional feedback when i've used it for longer.
    Overall... I'm quite impressed! Good job to the linux4one team!

adipradana, Jan 15, 2009
  5. 2manydjs

CRMurray

It's one of the things I'm most excited about is the option to change distros. I had been looking at the mint one, but for my first time I really wanted something that was in the netbook remix format. So far I haven't had much chance to play about, it was late when I finsished the installation and then have been at work all day. Speaking to my IT Manager, who has an AAO too, he started to list a ton of different distros to try.

Might have to steal my parents PC once I'm more clued into linux and use that to try different distros out. :D

CRMurray, Jan 15, 2009
  6. 2manydjs

woodland

Hi All,

Sorry for "neglecting" you guys,, busy testing and posting on the Linux4One forum. I've noticed that some of you already found their forum and are posting on it. For those who haven't found it: http://www.linux4one.it/forum/index.php#3

You can find some nice Linux4One How To's and tutorials here: http://www.linux4one.it/forum/index.php?board=12.0

to answer some questions:

well 2 hours plus is usual for me, maybe i'm just lucky?
    drain the battery and then recharge it, it might improve your running time

Google is your friend: just enter the error message ..answers will roll out otherwise state your prob in a concise and clear way
    other friends besides google: http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/ , http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/
    With your attitude you'll soon be able to deal and feel comfortable with Linux, Way to go

@csmo
    you got your problems with the AA1backup sorted Good Job! sorry i didn't see your post before i was a.o.t. busy writing a How To on the subject and posted it on the Linux4One Forum: http://www.linux4one.it/forum/index.php?topic=219.0 Let's hope it will help some other "daredevils"

@frodot
    Sorry for being not very informative.. I cut a corner there because i did nothing special. Checked my settings a few times, manually tried to connect a few times... and without any apparent reason or doing anything special on my side it was up and running. It has been Automatically connecting for me except for 2 times when the AA1 was quite warm. My workaround is to turn it off, let it cool down and after that it always works for me. Rather annoying "feature" of the AA1 i agree.. You've found your way to the Linux4One forum So let's see what the good people there are coming up with. I posted an answer to your questions and hopefully some solutions to your probs over here: http://www.linux4one.it/forum/index.php?topic=110.15

Hope i answered everyone... Sorry if i missed more stuff where i could have been (more) helpful

Just remember i'm not a linux Guru or a Linux4One team member. I'm like you; enjoying my AA1, searching for answers to some issues and trying to share my experiences (The Good, The Bad and the Ugly ;) )

Regards,
    woodland

woodland, Jan 15, 2009
  7. 2manydjs

CRMurray

Thanks woodland.

It gives me something to look at and get a bit more comfortable with linux. I've only just realised how programed my thinking has been with only ever using Macs at home and PCs at work.

I've noticed the comments about openoffice on linux4one forums, its something to work up to, trying to update it. I've noticed that there is only "word" and spreadsheets, are the other packages of openoffice already installed on linux4one, or is that the reason for updating/upgrading? I've only just had a chance to look at my new distro tonight. I've got lots of exploring to do!

CRMurray, Jan 15, 2009
  8. 2manydjs

CRMurray

Would probably help if I went to preferences then main menu and just select openoffice. :)

Although I have managed to delete the top panel.
    :shock:

Which means I'll have to add and extend a new panel. Oh well. :)

CRMurray, Jan 16, 2009
  9. 2manydjs

woodland

HI CRMurray,

Rofl.... give me a Mac and i'm quite Helpless...

I've seen those comments too and they surprise the H out of me. Installing software is a piece of cake!

System, Administration, Synaptics Package Manager ...

Play around a little with package manager it will take you 5 minutes (at most) before you're installing the missing bits of openoffice

woodland, Jan 16, 2009
  10. 2manydjs

hornet

Ah this distro is promising.

I've just done 4 days of tweaking linpus.
    On the fifth (yesterday) I got it up to acceptable levels.

Sooooo... I thought I would add a game or two with synaptic.
    See if anything new and cool was available.
    Didn't like the first one so I removed it.....

BIG MISTAKE.

Linpus collapsed like a deck of cards.
    All the work. Xml file editing, desktop switch (you know the drill) for nothing.

I tried this one since the review was good and boom every prob Linpus gave me was solved out of the box.

And who cares if the led light on wifi dosn't work?
    As long as I get online I'm happy!!! Thumbs up for Linux4one :D

hornet, Jan 19, 2009
  11. 2manydjs

Branny

Branny, Jan 20, 2009
  12. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 20, 2009
  13. 2manydjs

toastnted

Well, they're calling it "Hardy Tsubo" ;)

Really? I get 20-23 sec (bootchart) using Sickboy kernel and eeebuntu. (1.5gb, HD)

toastnted, Jan 21, 2009
  14. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 21, 2009
  15. 2manydjs

toastnted

Going from 1GB to 1.5GB knocked about 3 or so seconds off a boot time, IIRC.

All I've done is install eeebuntu, plus the sickboy kernel, and then profiled the boot. The only tweaks I applied were to sort out wifi etc.

As an aside, I have noticed that disk utilization has dropped significantly, it used to peak at 32-33mb/s. Now it doesn't get much above 19mb/s during the boot :?:

toastnted, Jan 21, 2009
  16. 2manydjs

hornet

I spoke to soon about Linux4one now wifi is down after 2 days.

Nothing has changed on the aspire and other computers in the same room can still use wifi.

Hope the next version fixes this.

EDIT

And then it just worked again.........after 3 reboots.

hornet, Jan 21, 2009
  17. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 21, 2009
  18. 2manydjs

ryo-saeba

ryo-saeba, Jan 21, 2009
  19. 2manydjs

rlaliberty

upgrading now!

rlaliberty, Jan 22, 2009
  20. 2manydjs

kingfisher

for me; i just saw the italian version post, wanted to check website, learned its ubuntu based, liked the idea immediately. down'd it, installed it, liked it. but for a second try of installation i got some errors. so i rebooted to retry installing,and a different error. anyhow, i dont remember the errors, after 4 reboots it did install again.

so i started using it. after one day, i took acer aspire one a110l with me, first time, outside. i opened it, vlc didnt open divx files, and closed itself (wasnt connected to internet, so i couldnt install any other media player or codecs), so i closed the lid and after a while i needed to connect to internet and reopened lid, and it did not work. the os did not boot. yes, linux4one. so i came back home, i tried couple times, it did not boot, after showing boot screen animation, it stays put on a blank screen.

now i decided to go back to linplus, which is because i dont want to download another linux distro and see the same thing again, just the possibility scares me, because i planned to work with ao1. i will stick to it for a short while and sell it, and buy another brand with a decent disk and -humanly- upgradible backside design.

oh, also why i had to stick with linux was because the f'ed up ssd was not an ssd, its a zif (a million year ago technology) using, slow (slower than a memory card) disk. even cell phones are faster with running windows than this so-called computer.

its an industrial / engineering mistake to promote this thing to consumers. you should at least give people the right to use windows at a normal speed.

kingfisher, Jan 22, 2009
Ask a Question