linux4one

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 2manydjs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. 2manydjs

Guest Guest

Hello all.
    I feel a bit bad after "attacking" Woodland the way I did. Well I still mean that a description of the sollution must be given, not just "I made wifi working".
    Nuff said about that. After swearing a lot I did make wifi work with the password I knew were correct. The problem was that I had to put in " " in front and in the end of the password. Newer had to do that before....
    So now it works as smooth as it should.
    Happy with this distro now, only thing missing is the cardreaders working without having to eject and reinsert the sd card, and the wifi led would be nice. Apart from that Linux4One is working nicely on my AAO now.
    A bit slower boot than with Linpus, but as this distro is way better, I dont mind.
    Next step is some hardware modding, just have to find a bluetooth dongle that works under Linux, think I found the one on DX, its on its way in the mail now. Maybe 3G in the future, that soldering bit scares me a bit for now.

Guest, Jan 23, 2009
  2. 2manydjs

woodland

Hi frodot,

Please don't worry! I don't feel offended in any way. I know how frustrating it is to find the line: "i made it work" on a forum and then they keep "the secret" to themselves.
    As i stated a few pages earlier there just wasn't much i could tell you because i didn't understand myself what caused the problem and i was really surprised that it fixed itself. (I hate it when computers do that to you.)
    BTW thanks for including your solution to the prob in your post... it might help someone. I was surprised by your solution so it will help me when i finally start encrypting my connection ("bit" late with that)

About Linux4One v 1.0
    Running Linuc4One since 30 minutes after it was posted and it's working well for me.
    found 3 bugs:
    SD drives are not auto-mounted at boot
    Disk Usage Analyzer states incorrect available space and thus incorrect free space
    WiFi led is now working as a speed indicator: slowly blinking when online, rapidly blinking when downloading :lol: I'm quite sure that MS would call this a feature and not a bug ;)

I've installed Wicd (http://www.wicd.sourceforge.net) it's doing its job properly

ROFL csmo i share your reservations for at least a 100%. I've checked out the youtube videos on how to do this but it looks like open hart surgery to me... I think i'll wait for the Dual Core Atom version with a fast SSD. Gives me some time too to save some money ;)

@ kingfisher
    i'm surprised by your experiences so far all works perfectly for me?
    did you run a md5 check on your downloaded .iso? it sounds like you installed a damaged iso.
    Check out this bit: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html by macles. AA1Backup works like a charm!

Regards,
    woodland

woodland, Jan 23, 2009
  3. 2manydjs

Branny

Hello All

2 questions from me:

1) Has anyone managed to make a Live USB from the hardy version? I've followed the guide here: http://www.linux4one.it/forum/index.php?topic=144.0 but when I come to boot from the stick all I get is the unetbootin screen which says 'default' but never boots. I've tried both .bin files from 'install' and 'isolinux' files from the linux4one download.

2) I don't want to overwrite my XP install. Is their a way I can install this from within windows? Inserting the disc doesn't take me to an isntall screen. If I install from boot screen, will this overwrite windows or give me option to install to seperate partition?

As always, any help much appreciated.

Thanks
    B

Branny, Jan 23, 2009
  4. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 24, 2009
  5. 2manydjs

Fuerst

I apologize for this provocative question: Can anybody tell me why I should change to this ubuntu-version with all its minor hardware-problems when I have a linpus-xfce-version running without any problems???

I am serious. if there are very good reasons, I would possibly try

cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Jan 24, 2009
  6. 2manydjs

woodland

@Branny
    Q1)
    I've downloaded my Linux4One iso from: http://downloads.quellicheilpc.com/linu ... index.html
    Used unetbootin-windows-304.exe to create the bootable pendrive and installed without any probs.
    Problems can arise with the Linux version of unetbootin so use the windows version (if possible)

Q2)
    You could install a linux boot loader to create a dual boot sytem. There are several guides on this forum on that subject. Do read those carefully! If you mess it up you will mess up your windows too.

@csmo
    ;) are we two cowards or just "old wise man"?
    So far Linux4One worked best for me. Out of the Box install, working internal microphone with Skype if you read this: http://www.linux4one.it/forum/index.php?topic=212.0.
    Boot is about 50 seconds (untweaked)
    I've tried to run the EasyPeasy.iso with mobalivecd but it wouldn't start up so i can''t compare
    If your happy with EasyPeasy i would stick with it

@Fuerst
    If you are happy with Linpus and everything works, is that including a working Internal microphone in Skype???, is see no need to change.
    It all depends on what you want... I wanted a working internal microphone in Skype.
    Linux4One gives me almost total freedom with regards to choice of desktop and software. There is a whole lot more software available for linux4One which can be very easily installed through the Package manager without any hassle.

Regards,
    woodland

woodland, Jan 25, 2009
  7. 2manydjs

finnbakk

Tried Linux4One for a while. From start everything seemed to work. But then the Wifi stopped being recognized after reboot. This happened several times, sometimes it worked after reboot, sometimes not.
    So I installed Easy Peasy 1.0 instead. Here really everything, even the internal mic using Skype, works, and the Wifi seems much more stable, though the wifi light does not shine :) And I have to add, this is Ubuntu 8.10.

finnbakk, Jan 25, 2009
  8. 2manydjs

toastnted

Can somebody running linux4one run glxgears from a terminal?

Report back what fps they get?

If it's based on Hardy it should be significantly better than intrepid's paltry 300 something

Cheers :)

toastnted, Jan 25, 2009
  9. 2manydjs

woodland

@ finnbakk

Which version of Linux4One are you talking about????

Last Thursday 21th of january version 1.0 was released.. I haven't had any problems with WiFi in version 1 yet

"So I installed Easy Peasy 1.0 instead. Here really everything, even the internal mic using Skype, works"

Amazing statement the internal mic was already working with skype in RC1 of linux4One and it still does.
    maybe you should have looked here: http://www.linux4one.it/forum/index.php?topic=212.0 ?

woodland, Jan 25, 2009
  10. 2manydjs

finnbakk

Yes, I'm sorry maybe I reacted too fast. I experienced huge problems with wifi unstability, but maybe some bud in my installation was the case of this and the mic problem.
    Maybe I'm coming back to trying Linux4one some day. Anyway it's a great initiative making this distro.

finnbakk, Jan 26, 2009
  11. 2manydjs

Branny

Hello woodland. Thank you for your advice. I'll have to give the 'live' another try. I'd used Unetbootin for Windows - no idea why it hasn't worked. I'll give it another go at the weekend. Really looking forward to giving linux4one a whirl. Thanks.

Branny, Jan 26, 2009
  12. 2manydjs

csmo

csmo, Jan 26, 2009
  13. 2manydjs

Scottola

I'm enjoying using linux4one and I'm really happy with the way it works. The only problem I'm having, which I think is a known one, is with the sound.

The volume doesn't go very high and I was wondering if anyone has come across a fix yet.

Scottola, Jan 27, 2009
  14. 2manydjs

woodland

HI All,

@csmo
    you and finnbakk got me interested in EasyPeasy.. and lol my first SSD install of it wasn't very successful so i can only confirm:
    and one from finnbakk: (thanks for the P.M.!)
    Didn't have the time yet but i will most certainly give EasyPeasy a second (and third and fourth etc. if necessary) try. From what i was allowed to enjoy i can understand why you like it.
    Only problem is Linux4One is sort of my first love and you know what it is like with first loves ;)

On-Topic
    @Scottola
    For me it was like that on all the distro's i've tried so far. I haven't come across a fix for this yet.
    If someone did....Please Share

woodland, Jan 27, 2009
  15. 2manydjs

ajayre

For me it was like that on all the distro's i've tried so far. I haven't come across a fix for this yet.
    If someone did....Please Share[/quote]

I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1 with the PulseAudio fix from the Ubuntu forums. Setting the PCM slider to max the volume is loud enough for me.

Andy

ajayre, Jan 28, 2009
  16. 2manydjs

grobut

The only problem I have is with the auto mount of my Huawei E220 3G usb modem.

It works after I type in this code in the terminal (then I'm able to connect via network manager 0.7):

Code:
    rmmod usb-storage
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003
    Any advice on how I get it to work automatic after I plug in the modem?

Maybe some of you have other and easier means of connecting to 3g?

//Grobut

grobut, Jan 28, 2009
  17. 2manydjs

witvis

Hi Grobut.

I posted a solution in the kernel thread a while ago.
    The post was as follows below.

Peter.

witvis, Jan 28, 2009
  18. 2manydjs

grobut

@witvis

Thank you, ill give it a try later today :cool:

grobut, Jan 28, 2009
  19. 2manydjs

AngusDe

Hi all,

I've had a go at installing linux4one, and it all seems fine, bar one bit.

However the one bit I can't get working is the wifi!

Maybe its just my unfamiliarity with so much of this linux stuff and being given so many options, lol.

I don't suppose anyone can give me a idiots guide step by step to set it up?

I'm too used to windows offering me a list of available wireless, pick mine (a O2/Be* "Bebox") type the password and away I go...

ta!

Angus

AngusDe, Feb 6, 2009
  20. 2manydjs

UncleBeer

linux4one installed just fine for me, including WIFI.

However: I've uninstalled it. Why should I keep an OS that needs 6Gb of my drive space, when Ron's TinyXP uses 1.5Gb? :lol:

Feck off, Linux. :twisted:

UncleBeer, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question