Live Update fails

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Mathijs, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Mathijs

tomt

I did it via a terminal session.

For me the following worked.

cd /etc/online-updater
    sudo mousepad online-updater.conf

Entered my password when asked. Made the changes and saved.

Then
    sudo mousepad server.list

Regards

tomt, Jan 4, 2009
  2. Mathijs

vikont

Thanks, fremling, it worked brilliantly!

vikont, Jan 5, 2009
  3. Mathijs

ARC

Hi All, I am new to Linux not just the acer one. If this was XP I would have no problem, but in Linux I do not know
    how to change this file, or really where to find it.

Would someone please be so kind as to tell me so I can make the change.

Regards
    ARC

ARC, Jan 5, 2009
  4. Mathijs

daldred

First, let's do this the graphical way, as far as possible, to help you feel at home after Windows.

• Press ALT-F2 and you should get a 'run' dialog box come up; enter 'sudo thunar' into that box and click 'run'. You have to do this bit this way as you need root (which is something like Windows administrator, but the Linux security system is better so it's rather more powerful compared to an ordinary user).
      [/*:m:11pcs5n0]
    • You need to get to the top level of the filesystm (a bit like C:/ in Windows, but Linux doesn't do drive letter; any drive can appear anywhere in the file system depending how you set things up). To do this click the up arrow at the top of the file manager window a couple of times.
    • The files you need are in /etc/online-updater. Double click first the 'etc' directory icon, then the 'online-updater' directory icon.
    • Now you can right-click the file onlineupdater.conf, and select 'Open with Mousepad' from the drop down menu. MAke the changes you need, and save the file. Then do the same with the file serverlist.[/*:m:11pcs5n0]

Now let's look at how to do it the command line way.
    • Press ALT-F2 and type 'Terminal' in the box, then click 'run'.
    • type "cd /etc/online-updater" (without the quotes) to get to the directory we need.
    • type "sudo mousepad onlineupdater.conf" (without any quotes) and mousepad will open, with the first file in it, and allowing you root status since you used 'sudo'. Make the changes and save; then do the same again, replacing 'onlineupdater.conf' with 'server.list'[/*:m:11pcs5n0]

It's up to you which you use; most people who use Linux regularly get used to using the terminal, since it's generally more powerful and easier to describe.

daldred, Jan 5, 2009
  5. Mathijs

ARC

Thank you so much for getting back to quick.

I will give this a go when I get home later tonight.

Kind Regards

ARC

ARC, Jan 5, 2009
  6. Mathijs

splinterz

Thank you sooooo much!
    It worked!! Im so happy! Finally got my updates and my messenger is working :D Thanks!

splinterz, Jan 5, 2009
  7. Mathijs

ARC

@ David,
    Thanks very much for the really detailed directions of how to update both methods.
    Everyone on Linux assumes that noobs can do the straight forward stuff and of course we can't, which is what puts people like me off Linux.
    Explaining it the way you have shown, not only helped me with this current problem, but problems I will have in the future. It seems to look a lot like
    DOS did in ye old days. When I first started using the IBM XT soon replaced by the super fast AT. Windows II, I think was out already, but you could make a cup of tea whilst waiting for the screen to change. Then thats why the Amega and ST were popular.
    I have been tempted to put XP on my ONE to be honest, I only bought it to force myself to get into Linux and thanks to you that temptation has gone away.

Thanks in fact to everyone who posted information on this thread.

ARC :D

ARC, Jan 5, 2009
  8. Mathijs

daldred

It's never easy on the forums to know whether to give people the 'quick fix' instructions, or explain a bit more. I tend to think a bit of explanation helps! You're welcome to the help; one of the things about Linux ios that it's a community thing, and support tends to come from other users rather than tech support lines - I had a lot of help when I was first using Linux, so I'm happy to give it back!

DOS looked a lot like CP/M; they both were a bit like the pure command-line stuff which had preceded them!

In Linux the command line remains more prominent than in Windows, for two reasons: first, graphical interfaces are often only interfaces to the command line utilities anyway, and only provide some of the options (as an example, try typing 'man ls' into Google - man pages aren't installed on the AAO by default although you can install them - and see how many options there are just for a directory listing!), and second there is usually a lot of choice as to your graphical interface of choice (so it's not safe to assume everyone is using Thunar, or Konqueror, or Dolphin, or Nautilus, or any of the many available graphical file managers - whereas you can assume they can all use ls at the command line).

Heh... fight it :)

A suggestion: if you want to get to know more about Linux, see if there is a Linux User Group near you. They generally have congenial meetings in pubs, and also have on-line mailing lists for help between meetings (amd there's no compulsion to go to meetings at all); they are full of people who like helping other people find out about Linux, and will probably be delighted to have a play with your AAO!

daldred, Jan 5, 2009
  9. Mathijs

johnmsp

johnmsp, Jan 6, 2009
  10. Mathijs

tucker

Hi
    Does anyone know the latest with this as I've tried all of these and none of them work?

It is still giving an update fail everytime.

Thanks

tucker, Mar 1, 2009
  11. Mathijs

capwell

I also tried all the ideas on these posts without success. Eventually I solved the problem by changing a setting on my broadband router. Your broadband router may have a number of security filter settings for things like:

telnet
    ftp
    http
    ping
    etc.

These are used to block traffic from the WAN into the LAN.

Normally I have all WAN traffic blocked including the setting for Ping. When I unblocked this, live update worked fine and has been working ever since.

capwell, Mar 23, 2009
  12. Mathijs

Piper64

Hey, good news I think, for anybody still struggling with their "Live Update". This could be the simple solution.
    Be warned though, I am totally new to Linux and this is my first contribution to a forum.
    My Live Update has not been working for a few months.
    Prompted by the comment above about router settings, I tried running Live Update through a cable connection to the internet rather than through wifi. It worked perfectly and I noticed that one of the updates was for Live Update itself.
    Since then Live Update works through wifi as well.
    A result.
    Good luck.

Piper64, Apr 18, 2009
Ask a Question