live update problems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jtl, Dec 12, 2008.

1. jtl

jtl

does anyone know if its possible to install only some of the updates available? i dont really need czech keyboard patches, among other things. also the stuff ive tried downloading now doesnt seem to be registering on the computer somehow, they start to reinstall all over again after half an hour of downloading the first time.

jtl, Dec 12, 2008
  2. jtl

convert

Per previous post I am quoting:

Deselecting updates in the Online Updater
    Acer is still updating the system via the Online Updater, which is good. Not so good is that updates are mandatory and cannot be deselected. If you removed some applications they will be re-downloaded and re-installed whenever a patch is available for them. It is actually possible to un-tick updates, but only if they are marked as optional, and those are rare. Almost all of them are marked as critical. Fortunately the line below makes all updates optional. Alternatively you can also use a hex editor and edit offset 0xa950 instead.

sudo sed -i.bak s:Critical:Optional: /usr/bin/onlineupdate

convert, Dec 25, 2008
  3. jtl

Guest Guest

file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.1-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched
    file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.1-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched

This is the message I got when I tried to update the software. Can someone tell me what to do???
    Thanks

Guest, Dec 31, 2008
  4. jtl

daldred

This was in a live update? It seems strange, since Acer's update system should respect their own modifications to packages.

daldred, Dec 31, 2008
  5. jtl

Guest Guest

Well. This is from software update...do you know what to do??? my wifi doesnt work and I really want to use wifi(hate cables)!
    Thanks

Guest, Jan 2, 2009
  6. jtl

daldred

I'm still not quite clear what you're doing which generates these messages.

If it's anything other than LiveUpdate itself, then I assume you're using a package manager of some sort (eitehr pirut or yum on the One). If so, have you run the repository update (see this macles blog post?

daldred, Jan 2, 2009
  7. jtl

Guest Guest

Hi,
    I was running software update (did not want to wait 2hrs for live update) and -as far as I remember- I did repository update before. Shall I do it again??I really need this update in order to get my touchpad working again(well I hope it`ll work again)
    What am I doing wrong??

Guest, Jan 4, 2009
  8. jtl

daldred

What's "software update"? The only updater I know of is the Live Update - unless you're running commands like sudo yum update, which won't cope well with Acer-altered utilities: Live Update uses a different approach.

daldred, Jan 4, 2009
  9. jtl

whyay

Restore the factory defaults. If you need to update a package through package updater, unselect all other updates. (you need to select all updates with Shift Down, then right click and choose "unselect", then find the update you want to install and mark the checkbox for updating)

whyay, Jan 4, 2009
  10. jtl

Guest Guest

Thanks for the help..it seems everything is back to normal.Dont know how or why but touchpad started to work again(well I did some update as u said).Did live update from terminal and now everything is working(apart from wifi)
    Thanks again.

Guest, Jan 8, 2009
Ask a Question