Live Update very slow

Discussion in 'Linux' started by marcfrost, Jan 25, 2009.

1. marcfrost

marcfrost

Hello again,

is it possible, that the first live update for linux linpus could take much more than 30 Minutes?
    Surfing in the internet goes fluently...
    (ouh merde...it does not download at all at the moment)

And does anybody know a good printed manual for linuxbeginners in general and/or linpus in special?
    Is Linpus actually the best alternative for the AAO?

I would like to use this machine more souverenly, not to throw pearls in front of pigs, but that seems to become a hard way...

Thanks in advantage, marcfrost

marcfrost, Jan 25, 2009
  2. marcfrost

amturnip

The first Linpus Linux "live update" may take hours. My new Aspire One required jillions of updates. (That's par for the course. Same thing happens if you get a Fedora or Ubuntu disc.)

I started with "Linux for Dummies" long ago. Try to get a book about Fedora ca 2007. Of course, Linpus *looks* totally different from Fedora, until you put it in advanced mode and start to type commands. Therefore, you can safely avoid books that are full of screenshots.

At least Linux is a free pearl. The old adage did not consider putting FREE pearls before swine. ;-)

amturnip, Jan 25, 2009
  3. marcfrost

Rochester

I bought a Linux AAO 8 SSD around Thanksgiving from Newegg because it was cheap and I thought I would try something other than Windows...big mistake. IMO, Linpus is a piece of junk. I hardly ever use the thing because doing just the simplest of tasks is a real pain. Check out the Linpus website...what a disgrace.

Anybody who intentionally buys the Linux version of the AAO can only be presumed to be a masochist.

Do yourself a favor, stick with XP or try another distro..Linpus is garbage.

Rochester, Jan 26, 2009
  4. marcfrost

thirddeeplens

I don't understand what you mean. Admittedly I've only had mine 2 days so haven't had a chance to find out why you say Linpus is a piece of junk. Internet works OK, email was easy to setup and works. I installed skype and that works OK.

XP is probably a good choice if you want to add all your familiar windows programs.

thirddeeplens, Jan 26, 2009
  5. marcfrost

amturnip

Interesting point about the Linpus website. One of Linux's cultural features is that the distros -- Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. -- are just publishers, not authors. No one goes to the Red Hat website for information about using Linux! Try Google instead.

Another cultural feature of Linux is that there aren't any instructions. Or, depending on how you look at it, there are too many instructions... in scraps all over the internet... and scarcely half a dozen in agreement. This leads a fair number of people to self-combust like "Rochester" before they figure it out.

In answer to "is Linpus the best for the AAO"... well, it's a well-aged Fedora specially configured for the cramped hardware of the AAO. I expect Ubuntu and Fedora (proper) to come out with netbook spins, and when that happens you'll have a free choice to make.

amturnip, Jan 27, 2009
  6. marcfrost

marcfrost

Thanks so far, I am trying to be patient and courageously with this, but now,
    as I am going forward step by step I had to realize that my AA1 didn't ask
    me for a password the first time I started.
    So, I wondering what is my root password to Add/Remove Software then?

update: I installed the linux-commands-manual, like described in "The Netbook Newbie's Guide to Linux" linked somewhere here in the forum. At least, I now got an idea how to deal with the terminal.

But:
    1. the "man" command doesn't work... (ok, I got it, done - due to libssd's post)
    2. How do I type this thing called "pipe" - I can not found on my keyboard...

This must be sounding very funny for the pros in here, I guess.

marcfrost, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question