Live update zapped my Wifi and Ethernet.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Magnanimous, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Magnanimous

Magnanimous

The hueawei 3g update, or whatever the christ it is killed both my wireless and ethernet connections, tried everything short of installing new drivers to get it back.
    I really REALLY don't want to have to reinstall the POS OS again... I'd rather have it working in a semi stable fashion like it has up to now (Except for the first liveupdate I ran which just killed everything.)

So yeah, Anyone have a solution for me? or should I just muck around a bit and try to get new drivers for my network stuff?
    Another tiny tidbit : Network manager fails to open and when I tried to restart it through terminal the machine just crashed.

Magnanimous, Oct 20, 2008
  2. Magnanimous

Guest Guest

Shut down and turn on your AAO1 few times and you will get them back.

Guest, Oct 20, 2008
  3. Magnanimous

Magnanimous

5th restart, no luck.

4. Magnanimous

Magnanimous

Resorted to Untarring the entire OS from the recovery disc to restore the files I need.
    EDIT: failure. Same result as always.

5. Magnanimous

Magnanimous

just reinstalled linpus, only problem now is I can't get vlc media player installed -_-

Magnanimous, Oct 21, 2008
  6. Magnanimous

jammer

I experienced the same. Performed the update and lost all networking. Took 2 reboots to sort out, what a pain.

Shame it didn't work for you, I know how much a pain it can be rebuilding from a recover image.

jammer, Oct 22, 2008
  7. Magnanimous

antikristian

I've experienced this several times on aspire ones ( I sell them ) and the best way to fix it is to either manually start nm-applet in a terminal and run a live update ( seldom works ) or to start the terminal and

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    sudo mousepad /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    change these portions of the file:
    onboot=no
    device=eth0
    #remove or coment out the line that looks kind of like this one, comment with a sharp sign
    #hw=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

when this is saved you can bring up the wired network with

Code:
    sudo ifup eth0
    now do a new update via liveupdate which will most likely fix your problems :D

Some of these paths or commands might be a letter or two of since this is recited only from memory. Please, tab-complete is your friend

antikristian, Oct 30, 2008
  8. Magnanimous

Darryl

I had exactly this prob. I'm not sure but i think the new update installs gnome-ppp. find it on the right click and go to setup and on the device tab select /dev/modem that should stop your machine looking for a usb to connect.
    I found this the hard way :oops:

Darryl, Oct 30, 2008
  9. Magnanimous

AspireOneChris

ive got the exact same problem, is there no where to just download and reinstall network manager ?

AspireOneChris, Nov 2, 2008
  10. Magnanimous

FunkyJive

Well good people...

I've just registered on this forum as I was trying to find an answer myself to this apparently very common issue, following a Live Update with Linpus Linux and the resulting dysfunctionality.

I was planning to reinstall with the system recovery disk as the update evidently broke my WiFi and camera drivers (perhaps others which I hadn't tried as-well), and the system wouldn't shut down with just a momentary power key press (as it had always done before the update). For this I now had to shut down using the little red power icon in the lower R/H corner of the screen.

I then attempted to create a system recovery flash-drive, though my first drive (Kingston "1GB", AKA... 956MB) was too small, and my 4GB ATP ToughDrive wouldn't flash due to an "Error 39" with the utility on the boot disk.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHH !!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

So, almost resigned to becoming a victim of the "Sell it now, worry about software bugs later" brigade, I tried one last thing and it all magically burst into full functionality - so here goes...

If you have performed a Live Update on your Acer Inspire One, equipped with Linpus Linux, and you've broken your connections and apps, then simply power the unit up, wait for the boot process to FULLY complete (no further HDD activity, disconnected WiFi messages, etc), and only then HOLD the power button down for a few seconds until the system suddently powers down. Wait a few seconds, then restart.

There'll be a noticeable change to the boot sequence, taking a little longer than normal, though will eventually boot - just be patient. As soon as it does so then (if your problem was the same as mine) the WiFi should immediately start to reconnect with the network once again re-established. Furthermore, your other apps and hardware interfaces should then all function normally as before the Live Update. :D

Good luck folks :)

All the best,

FunkyJive.

FunkyJive, Nov 19, 2008
  11. Magnanimous

maxrob11

I've tried these and still have nothing. My problem would be fixed with your response, antikristian, but i am travelling and do not have access to anything other than a wifi connection. anyone have another solution for me?

maxrob11, Apr 11, 2009
  12. Magnanimous

Pontificator

Same problem as original poster. I tried shutting off and turning on a few times as well. NO LUCK.

I'm getting pretty good at reinstalling the OS :x

Pontificator, Apr 24, 2009
Ask a Question