LiveUpdate always fails

Discussion in 'Linux' started by craiggieg, Sep 29, 2008.

1. craiggieg

craiggieg

Hi, I'm having major problems with LiveUpdate...it either seems to hang and tell me there's been a network error (which I know other people have) or else it downloads all the updates and hangs while installing them. I have made only minor changes to my Linpus installation - installing some software, changing menu items etc. so I can't imagine it's that.

Any advise on how to get it to work? I haven't successfully updated my system in weeks and the updates are piling up. Is there a way to use the Fedora update, or install updates one-by-one or manually? I'm getting very frustrated!

Thanks!

craiggieg, Sep 29, 2008
  2. craiggieg

ivor

run onlineupdate from a terminal window, that way you should be able to see any messages and errors as they occur to determine what's gone wrong with your setup.
    The acer live update system assumes that you have made NO changes to your system, any change you make is quite possible to have broken the process.
    Yes you can download and install the patches separetely, I'll did out the thread where I describe that, and you can trick it into thinking certain updates are installed if there's a particular one that's conflicting with a change you've made. I'll try and dig out the post where I mention that too.

cheers,
    ivor.

ivor, Sep 30, 2008
  3. craiggieg

OneHead

When run from a terminal (using sudo onlineupdate), this is the output, then it just quits:
    Code:
    Open the configure file onlineupdate.conf successfully
    str1[0] = #Protocal ,str[0] = 
    Protocal = http
    str1[1] = Protocal ,str[1] = http
    str1[2] = #server ,str[2] = 
    str1[3] = IP ,str[3] = 
    str1[4] = address ,str[4] = 
    str1[5] = Or ,str[5] = 
    str1[6] = DNS ,str[6] = 
    str1[7] = IP_address ,str[7] = ftp.linpus.com
    str1[8] = #User ,str[8] = 
    str1[9] = name ,str[9] = 
    User_name = #Password
    str1[10] = Name ,str[10] = #Password
    User_passwd = #Down
    str1[11] = Password ,str[11] = #Down
    str1[12] = update ,str[12] = 
    str1[13] = list ,str[13] = 
    str1[14] = file ,str[14] = 
    str1[15] = path ,str[15] = 
    Http_path = /ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.7/
    str1[16] = Http_path ,str[16] = /ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.7/
    Ftp_path = /ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.5/
    str1[17] = Ftp_path ,str[17] = /ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.5/
    g_thread already supported
    strServerlist[0] = update.linpus.com 

Even though you can get a manual connection to ftp.linpus.com, you don't have a username or password and it doesn't allow anonymous logins, so that's where it appears to be stuck. I can't seem to get to any Linpus FTP or web sites ... and the AO's source code is served from an Acer site ... even the links from Acer's site to Linpus sites are broke, so has Linpus just dropped off the edge of the world, or what? At the moment, a Google of "Linpus" returns "Website is under maintenence!".

OneHead, Oct 3, 2008
  4. craiggieg

ivor

it's connecting to with http not ftp actually so it doesn't need a password.
    try changing your config file to point to "update.linpus.com" I'm afraid I don't have onlineupdate installed anymore so can't
    check what mine was. perhaps someone else can check and post their settings.

ivor, Oct 3, 2008
  5. craiggieg

hjongste

I had exactly the same problem. Reading this forum I thought the sudo yum install fedora-release would fix it, but also that didn't work and hung before it started the installation. Then after a couple of weeks I tried again a couple of things. I am not sure exactly what sequence I used but try this.

I cleared the /var/cache/online-updater directory Navigate in the filemanager to that directory and wipe all the files. You can also do it in a terminal window by executing sudo rm ./* in the directory just mentioned. This directory holds the log on live update and clearing it will make the live update think you need the update (again).

Then I ran in a terminal window sudo yum install fedora-release. And while this didn't work for more then two weeks, now all of a sudden it passed the installation. From then on doing the live update also worked.

I don't know what actually has caused this. Connection with internet has always been good and same. The packages downloaded but just didn't want to install. I guess you just have to keep trying.

hjongste, Oct 4, 2008
  6. craiggieg

OneHead

Thanks, @ivor! The last line in the config does in fact mention "update.linpus.com", but look at what whois says:

No match for domain "UPDATE.LINPUS.COM".
    >>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 03:55:58 EDT <<<

It's really beginning to look like Linpus are off the air ....

@hjongste: thanks, I'll have a look at the /var/cache/online-updater directory to see if I can find any clues, but it really looks like their update sites are down.

OneHead, Oct 4, 2008
  7. craiggieg

ivor

weird. they're online here. some sort of dns cache issue?

update.linpus.com resolves to 211.78.162.151 here

ivor, Oct 4, 2008
  8. craiggieg

OneHead

Very strange. However, if I put a URL together with that IP address and the path mentioned in the config file, I can get a response when I point a web browser there:
    http://211.78.162.151/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.7/
    ... which proves they're alive, and that for some reason the network here doesn't want to resolve the name "update.linpus.com". I've also tried replacing "update.linpus.com" with that IP address in /etc/online-updater/server.list and it still fails!

OneHead, Oct 4, 2008
  9. craiggieg

ivor

looks like theres a dns issue on your box? is it resolving other dns names? does adding the domain/ip into /etc/hosts help at all?

ivor, Oct 4, 2008
  10. craiggieg

OneHead

I put in the IP address you supplied, and it still doesn't work. I also changed to OpenDNS (which solves the DNS resolution problem, for some reason my ISP's default DNS doesn't resolve the name), but still no joy. It would appear the the executable onlinupdater does something other than just HTTP to the URL ... i.e. the same URL in a browser connects fine.

OneHead, Oct 4, 2008
  11. craiggieg

ka5s

Here's what I got this morning from the Linpus "Lite" page http://linpus.mad-geek.net/

ka5s, Oct 7, 2008
  12. craiggieg

OneHead

That's not related to this issue though ... or is the linpus.mad-geek.net website in some way affiliated with Acer or Linpus? I think not. That message about bandwidth is from the hosting service for the linpus.mad-geek.net website.

OneHead, Oct 7, 2008
  13. craiggieg

craiggieg

Thanks for the help ivor.

I have tried running onlineupdater from the command prompt and it seems to download everything fine, but when it runs the first update script (searchbar.sh) it fails with the line audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused then freezes/stops. I have managed to get 1 install to work following that warning message, but the rest do not. I can't think of anything i have done to change the searchbar or files related to it, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I guess the only real option for me is to reinstall a clean image of Linpus and start from scratch, but I guess I'm finding this OS pretty annoying.

Maybe time to join the Ubuntu bandwagon.

If anyone can think of an option to help me get the installs working, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Craig

craiggieg, Oct 9, 2008
  14. craiggieg

OneHead

You might be able to download the .sh files from here: http://211.78.162.151/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.7/ and install them manually by just double-clicking them. The only problem is trying to figure out which ones to download ...

OneHead, Oct 9, 2008
  15. craiggieg

kjohnson3253

These two steps worked for me immediately. Thanks!

kjohnson3253, Oct 10, 2008
  16. craiggieg

wim

Worked for me too. Thanx a bunch.

wim, Oct 23, 2008
  17. craiggieg

tonyk

The fix using My Files worked on my Aspire One - thanks for the tip :)

tonyk, Nov 29, 2008
  18. craiggieg

kapinouwi

19. craiggieg

Pierre

Guys, how do you clean up the var/cache thingie..? I have no idea how to get there to finally get my live update to work...Thanks!

Pierre, Dec 9, 2008
  20. craiggieg

wim

Pierre,

If you open a terminal window (Alt-F2), you can go to this directory by typing the following command :
    cd /var/cache/online-updater <enter>.
    Then verify that you are in the correct directory :
    pwd <enter>
    You should see output like '/var/cache/online-updater' .
    IF YOU DON'T SEE THAT , DO NOT (I REPEAT) DO NOT EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING COMMAND.
    It will simple erase all file in the current directory and all directories underneath.

So when you are sure you are in the correct directory, type the following :
    rm -fr * <enter>

This will clean up this directory and you will be able to continue with the online update.

If anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to ask.

wim, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question