Loading ubuntu on my ZG5

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fatrip, Dec 12, 2008.

1. fatrip

fatrip

Hi guys I am very very new to linux based programs. So new my first encounter was yesterday when i got the Aspire one ZG5. I was wondering would it be good for me to try an upload Ubuntu on my comp. It doesnt seem to hard to load it, but i am just very used to windows and am just getting into the Linux lingo. also with just staying with the linpus lite would i be able to put programs such as small photo editing program?

fatrip, Dec 12, 2008
  2. fatrip

riot

Ubuntu is definitely newcomer friendly. I haven't used Linpus at all so can't help you with that question without guessing. What I can do is recommend burning a Ubuntu LiveCD and having a go at it to see if it's something you'd like. You can start here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Keep in mind performance will be faster if you choose to install it compared to the liveCD but it should give you a taste. All that said I usually recommend new linux folks to Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu. It's based on Ubuntu but comes with all multimedia codecs setup and some handy tools. You also get the Ubuntu community as most if not all advice you get from the Ubuntu forums can be applied to Mint.

riot, Dec 12, 2008
  3. fatrip

fatrip

cool. thanks. but i do have one question about the Linux mint. if i loaded that would i need to find drivers for the things on the net book? that was a nice thing about ubuntu is that they have the drives and everything all ready for the computer i have.

fatrip, Dec 13, 2008
  4. fatrip

riot

Yes. Give it a couple days though as they're about to release Mint 6.0 Felicia which is based on Intrepid Ibex and should have better support.

riot, Dec 14, 2008
  5. fatrip

RockDoctor

I don't think there's any such thing as a small photo editing program :lol: Everybody's got their favorite distro for the AA1; today mine happens to be Fedora (yesterday it was Puppy, and the day before that it was Ubuntu). The one singular advantage Linpus Lite has over ALL (yes, every single one of the other) distros that we forum participants recommend is that it is the only distro in which the right-hand 4-in-1 reader actually reads all 4 types of cards. And yes, you should be able to load a photo editing program under Linpus Lite.

RockDoctor, Dec 14, 2008
Ask a Question