Location of D250's webcam cable?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Bloodstar, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Bloodstar

Bloodstar

So, aside from a couple minor issues (something wrong with my webcam as I'm going to detail here, and keyboard weirdness which is probably solved by a new keyboard) my D250 has gone from an unusable headache late last year to quite the nice little machine again! (Even if half the time it's a testbed for Linux and some other unusual things, like forcing OS X onto it...)

However, there's an issue I've been having since 2010 and my Windows days, that I never really thought too much of... but it's been bothering me more and more over time. Namely... I believe there's an issue with my webcam cable. Tilting the screen back and forth will cause the machine to register a USB device being plugged/unplugged, and it'll play the appropriate sound (on Windows 7) or throw up errors (Linux console/Mac OS X console).

Ultimately, I've decided at the moment to do the same thing I did with the fan - unplug it, considering it doesn't do much for me. (The fan didn't even cool the machine down, and in the webcam's case I barely ever use webcams, and my MBP's is of much higher quality anyway if I do wish to use one)

The only thing that's stopping me is, well, the fact that I actually don't know where the cable is connected to! I can't seem to find much of anything (although knowing my luck, next time I look after posting this thread I'll find it) and I'm not really willing to poke around inside the top half of the machine unless I know I have to.

e: Actually, I get the feeling this is what makes OS X lag for a second or so every so often...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    Bloodstar, Jun 15, 2012
  2. Bloodstar

Swarvey Moderator

If you pop the bezel of the front of the LCD, you'll find the webcam has a small white connector at the edge of the PCB. Just unplug it there. The cable for it is inside the same insulation for the LCD panel and microphone.

As a suggestion though, I'd replace the whole cable (LCD, mic and cam all in one). I say this because yours already has a weak connection to the webcam and it's probably not far off causing the LCD panel to start going out. At the very least, doing it now will save you having to open it up again in a few months.

Swarvey, Jun 15, 2012
  3. Bloodstar

Bloodstar

Ah, I see - many thanks! I've gone in and, at the moment, disconnected it. I do plan to replace the entire cable eventually should I need to, but I'd like to hold off unless I absolutely need to considering the dearth of information there seems to be on the D250. (I was lucky to find enough to fix up the fan, before...)

It did fix the garbage spewing into my terminals upon monitor tilting, though (Okay, it's error messages, but still wreaks havoc on any terminal applications I'm using in text-only mode) - I haven't tested Windows 7 yet, but I believe the issue has been fixed there as well.

It didn't seem to fix the weird random Mac OS X lag, though. Go figure, eh? I can't seem to find anything else, though, so I'll update the topic I posted about it one last time and if I can't turn anything up it's back to Arch on this machine. At least I'll be able to run it with less annoyance, now!

Bloodstar, Jun 21, 2012
Ask a Question