Long shutdown times

Discussion in 'Linux' started by adipradana, Aug 23, 2008.

1. adipradana

adipradana

adipradana, Aug 23, 2008
  2. adipradana

Ryan

Long shut down time? You just press the off button once and it will turn off - takes around 8 seconds, if you are online you'll notice it as it will disconnect your wireless. I'm sure we'll start seeing tips and tweaks soon enough but I think acer have a great job with the whole polish of the system on the machine with regards to times.

Ryan, Aug 23, 2008
  3. adipradana

FireSoul

i made a small trick ... that closing the screen does nothing

so simply my shutdown time = virtually to me .... nothing

just press the button and close the screen and go to do something else ...

i do recommend this

FireSoul, Aug 24, 2008
  4. adipradana

adipradana

8 seconds? Thats fast... mine seems much much longer than that... I've timed it 36 secs... similar to the one in the youtube video.

adipradana, Aug 24, 2008
  5. adipradana

Sid

36 seconds for windows maybe :)

I run four workspaces and an above normal pile of concurrent applications, I just shut it all down, it took about 20 seconds max. But why shut it down, use sleep mode?

Us SSD folk shut the lid and walk = zero seconds.

Sid, Aug 24, 2008
  6. adipradana

gbee

This is where the advantage of the SSD is apparent. I don't have to worry about it shutting down before I move - I hit the power button, close the lid and throw it in my bag - 5 seconds at the most.

If you want to sleep instead of powering off, then just close the lid - 2 seconds.

Of course it can be reconfigured so that closing the lid does nothing, or so that it shutdown instead, or suspends to disk instead of ram etc. You just need to (re)install kpowersave, the Acer version is crippled.

gbee, Aug 24, 2008
  7. adipradana

adipradana

Hey... just noticed that its different when you shutdown via the linpus panel then when you shutdown just by pressing the off button. Just pressing the off button is certainly much muchfaster. What's the difference anyway? Will it cause file corruption or harm the OS in anyway (like in windows)?

adipradana, Aug 24, 2008
  8. adipradana

DiSK

In Windows, when I press the power button on my desktop, it's the same as if I click shutdown. I haven't tried it here yet, but I'm not gonna until you guys have figured out what happens. :D

DiSK, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question