Looking into getting a AAO.......

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by geazy, Jan 19, 2009.

1. geazy

geazy

I've searched around and there is so much stuff here about these things. I just have a bunch of random questions about these that I need clarified.
    I'm looking into getting 2 of these. One for my wife and one for me. One white and one pink. I want the 1gb ram and 120gb hd with 6cell batt. Where to buy?
    also these can basically do anything right. as long as i'm not trying to run crysis on it. lol I can run some older games. Command and Conquer red alert 2, or maybe even generals. I'm not sure how good the graphics chip is. or maybe battlefield 1942 just some games that are under the specs? I can run itunes on these and AIM. I can istall office and all those goodies. They seem very usable. I kinda figure I don't game hardcore on my pc anymore i play my psp and xbox 360 for that. So we need a new computer but I figure we only use it for photos, internet, itunes, youtube and just entertainment. So why not get 2 of these rather then a new laptop or desktop. I also see that it said ram was expandable to 1.5gb how do I get the extra 500mb's

geazy, Jan 19, 2009
  2. geazy

azz2811

I don't know where to buy the 6-cell batt version because they dont have any of them in Australia yet. As for the games go to this thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2201v

As for the ram the aao has 2 ram slots i believe i haven't upgraded the ram on my aao so i might be wrong. One of the slots has the 1gb ram module and the other is empty. To get 1.5gb people keep the 1gb of already installed ram and then put a 512mb ram module in the empty slot so that it equals 1.5gb. I don't think that you can upgrade it up to 2gb i might be wrong.

these threads should help:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=617 and

hope that this helps :)

azz2811, Jan 19, 2009
  3. geazy

ronime

Not quite.

The AAO has 512MB soldered onto the motherboard and a single SODIMM slot which will accept anything up to 1GB in size. Maximum memory on the AAO is therefore 1.5GB.

ronime, Jan 19, 2009
  4. geazy

geazy

is that a tough install. Whats up with the msi wind. Is that a better system? what would you say is the cadillac of netbooks.

geazy, Jan 19, 2009
  5. geazy

ronime

Compared to most notebooks/netbooks it is quite tough. You do need to be very careful.

Samsung NC10 is well respected. Good screen, large keyboard, excellent battery life, quiet cooling fan and reasonably priced.

I nearly bought one myself until one of the supermarket chains in the UK started selling off the 512MB A150 models - they are half the price of the NC10. Add in the additional cost of a 1GB SODIMM and a 6-cell battery and the Aspire One still works out at 2/3 of the cost of an NC10.

ronime, Jan 19, 2009
  6. geazy

geazy

o.k. AAO is what I'm getting. Looks like I can get the 2 colors I need with 6 cell batt on ebay new and sealed. One other question. How do you print if you don't have a wifi printer. Is there a network thing that could be done?

geazy, Jan 19, 2009
  7. geazy

azz2811

ok yeah sorry about the ram lol.

The Asus N10JC is quite good with the 256mb graphics

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/products ... k-new.html

its ALOT more expensive then the aao's and some of the eee pc's but if you are aiming for the best eee pc (i know that you want an aao) its not very far off.

azz2811, Jan 20, 2009
  8. geazy

geazy

yeah the AAO is perfect I think for what I want to do. Thank you for all your help. now do you think i should be waiting for the new 10" to come out and see if the prices drops. I mean if the price drop is like 20-40 dollars I don't really care, but if it will drop like 80-100 I would probably wait as I'm going to buy too.

geazy, Jan 20, 2009
  9. geazy

ronime

Many retailers in the UK appear to be discontinuing or dropping prices on the existing models to clear inventory.

ronime, Jan 20, 2009
  10. geazy

azz2811

for some reason in Aus they seem to be going up :S although some shops have dropped them but i dont think that the 10 will come out in Aus for a while

azz2811, Jan 20, 2009
  11. geazy

ronime

If your printer has a USB connection then something like the Apple Airport Express would probably do the trick. If you can locate your printer near a wired ethernet router or switch then something like a Netgear wired ethernet print server would probably be slightly cheaper.

ronime, Jan 20, 2009
  12. geazy

azz2811

or if you have another computer hooked up to the printer you can use that computer to access the printer but that computer has to be on. you can do this by looking at a thread on this forum i have had a look for it but i cant find it maybe you can. Its titled shared cd drive or something like that. But if you already know how to set up a home network well then you dont need to use that thread.

azz2811, Jan 20, 2009
  13. geazy

SueWNY

You print like you would from any other computer. Install the drivers and software (either with an external CD/DVD drive, flash drive, or by downloading direct from the manufacturers website), plug in the printer, run the set up, and go.

SueWNY, Jan 21, 2009
  14. geazy

yachtpro

Don't know about your past computers, but mine all have USB ports and that is where I connect my printer. Most new printers for the last few years no longer have parallel ports which is how all printers connected in the old days. I don't know if Bluetooth ever hit the printers as the coding or signal generated between the computer and the printer might not be possible or compatible. Hard wire through the USB port is the most common as well as wireless. Don't know if Infrared ever worked either.

yachtpro, Jan 21, 2009
  15. geazy

geazy

yeah I guess I can just plug into my fax/copier/printer combo when needed. Thanks everyone!

geazy, Jan 21, 2009
Ask a Question