Lost desktop items

Discussion in 'Linux' started by themadscotsman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. themadscotsman

themadscotsman

Hi guys,

Today I reinstalled VLC successfully and afterwards tried to add GIMP to the desktop group fun as I had done previously with VLC and Skype.
    I used the terminal and typed sudo mousepad /home/usr/config/.xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml and added a line as such <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop</app>

I then rebooted and noticed that VLC was not in the fun section as it had been previously done as above as sequence 8 and so I tried to open the group-app.xml file and it comes up as a blank document.

I checked my spelling and tried again to the same conclusion. I also noticed that Skype is also missing from the connect menu.
    All the applications are still there and are working, I have placed them in the right click menu but would like to know why I cannot open the desktop config file.
    short of doing a restore from the recovery usb stick can anyone offersome advice.
    I'm kinda new to Linux by the way but maybe you guessed that.

Many thanks

themadscotsman, Jan 4, 2009
  2. themadscotsman

Darryl

There was a spelling mistake it should be user not usr so:
    sudo mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml
    ok

Darryl, Jan 4, 2009
  3. themadscotsman

themadscotsman

Thanks,

I had actually found the file by browsing for it(relieved) and since then I have been able to access the file from the terminal and make changes( I've made a backup of the file now) and have added the line again to add it to the desktop and after a few attempts realised that the line should have been sequence="7"/usr/etc and not sequence="7"usr/etc. since rebooting I now have VLC and GIMP in the fun section as well as Skype back in the connect section.

Thanks for all help.

themadscotsman, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question