Lost display on old Asus during upgrades

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Gates, Oct 4, 2024 at 4:28 AM.

1. Gates

Gates

I have an old Asus Q501LA notebook that sees very limited use. Intel i5-4200U, 6GB RAM, 750GB WD, Windows 10 Pro.

This is mainly an emergency backup that's kept current for limited home use or travel use.It's very slow so I decided to speed it up with an SSD and upgrading the ram by swapping out the original 2 GB Hyundai stick with an 8 GB module of the same type. Rather than do it a piece at the time, I swapped out both and hoped for the best. I couldn't get the boot menu up by holding Esc so I could boot to WinPE and load my system and disk image by USB. I couldn't get it to do anything but turn on and run. No display. I took it down, reinstalled the WD HDD and the old 2 GB ram and got the same result. No display. I plugged in HDMI to the TV and everything worked normally with the TV as the display.

I tried doing the EC RTC reset but that didn't help. From what I've read it seems like I may have screwed up the memory training. I haven't pulled the battery yet or looked for cmos reset pins.

Does anyone have a good idea about how to get the display back?

Gates, Oct 4, 2024 at 4:28 AM
  2. Gates

Gates

Fixed

Gates, Oct 4, 2024 at 8:32 PM
Ask a Question