Lost my wireless connection, stupid mistake, now need help.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lakedawdgs, Nov 12, 2009.

1. lakedawdgs

lakedawdgs

Hello,
    OK, I made a dumb mistake, that I understand. I just cannot figure out how to correct it.
    At home I am on a wireless network using Comcast cable. While the cable internet was down for a bit I decided to hook up 2 of my laptops via a Cat5 Crossover cable to do some file sharing I have been wanting to do.

I hooked up the crossover cable and went in to Control Panel --> Network Connection --> Wireless Network Connection, right clicked, selected properties, single clicked on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and clicked properties. Here I changed from Obtain IP Address Automatically to Use the following IP address. I put in IP Address (each laptop had its own), Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. From here it went to My Computer, right clicked and selected Properties and changed to Workgroup name on each laptop to match. Plugged the cable in, rebooted and nothing, the laptops did not 'see' each other.

I thought no big deal, the internet is back up (wife told me as her PC had come back up). I changed the Wireless Network Connection info back to Obtain IP address automatically and changed the Workgroup name back to what it had been previously. Did this on both machines. Rebooted, now both machines are not connecting to our network. The 'see' it, I click connect and I get a window that says, Trying to Connect but it goes away with no luck. I have tried to delete my home connection and reconnected, put in my lock key and still does not connect. Both laptops have a red X through the Wireless Network Connection icon in Network Connections.

I am at wits end here. I use my laptop at home for work and cannot work. I obviously made a stupid mistake,
    Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Lakedawgs

lakedawdgs, Nov 12, 2009
Ask a Question