Lost Wifi

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Agusta, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Agusta

Agusta

After quite some time online (a few hours at least) I lose my network connection; the circle indicator in the bottom bar does not spin looking for a network, and Network Manager doesn't connect either. The only thing I have found to do is shut down completely and then reboot after a few minutes and it is all right again.
    Is this some kind of heat issue shutting down the card and/or is it a faulty card, or just something I've got to live with?

Sorry if this is a known problem that has been discussed already - I did do a search but couldn't find anything.

Agusta, Oct 27, 2008
  2. Agusta

goofball

Have you tried changing the channel that your router is on?

goofball, Oct 28, 2008
  3. Agusta

Agusta

Sorry, I'm not sure I know how to do that.
    I don't think it's a dropped signal - it connects (and stays connected) 100% from cold, and is totally stable right up to the point where it decides to shut down. Also I have regularly used 2 other machines set-up exactly the same to my router without any drop-outs at all.
    Would changing the channel be likely to help?

Agusta, Oct 28, 2008
  4. Agusta

goofball

You would use the http web interface to connect to your router (using your web browser). The address of the router is the gateway address you get when you look at your IP settings. http://[i]gateway[/i]. I don't know what brand of router you have so I can't give you a definitive answer on what the address is. It would definitely start with a 192.168 but the remaining numbers are different from router to router.

I had to change the channel on my router as my AAO would connect, then disconnect. I could put 2 other laptops beside it (both acer's as well) and they would connect but for some reason, the AAO would drop. Since changing, no further issues, no matter how long the AAO is on for.

goofball, Oct 28, 2008
  5. Agusta

Agusta

I have now changed my (Netgear) router from "G+B" to "Auto 108 Mbps" and changed the channel at the same time. I'll see if this makes a difference.

Thanks for the advice.

Agusta, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question