Lost wireless connection

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cheeky71, Mar 18, 2009.

1. cheeky71

cheeky71

Hello, recently bought my parents an Acer Aspire One, set up the internet with BT, to start with wireless worked fine, now it's lost it's wireless connection (works fine with ethernet cable). Spoke to BT helpdesk, they do not support linux. Tried selecting the BT Hub, but it will not hold the selection. Can you suggest anything? Any help would be appreciated.

cheeky71, Mar 18, 2009
  2. cheeky71

solpuerto

Hi cheeky71

Simple question, but is the wireless switch on, bottom right hand corner should be a yellow/orange light on. There are a number of posts on the forum about people not noticing that the switch is in the off position. If the light is not on you may well have a problem on your wireless card.
    As you say you have had the wireless working so you know the following but it may be worth checking again. If you look under System there is a "Network Centre and if you select this you should see "Connection Management". Is you wireless router shown there? If not select "New" then tick "WLAN" and "Next". On the "WLAN Settings" screen tick "Select" and that should show you the Routers that are seen by your wireless card. If yours is there select it and that should then allow you to enter your WPA or WEP code.

If your Router is not shown you may well have a problem with the wireless part of your Router or of course the wireless card in the Aspire.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Mar 18, 2009
  3. cheeky71

cheeky71

Thank you for the reply, the wireless light has been on. As to the other suggestion, i'll give it a go.

cheeky71, Mar 24, 2009
  4. cheeky71

dojetdriver

Mine does the same thing. The wireless switch is on, it will simply disconnect and doesn't pick up ANY signals. Going to connection manager will show no networks either.

The only way I've found to get it back is to turn the machine off then on again.

In fact, it happened before I started typing this, then again while I was tying this. Thank god for the iPhone.

Anybody else have the same issues, as well as a fix?

dojetdriver, Apr 1, 2009
Ask a Question