Loving OpenSolaris 2009.06

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Relic, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Relic

Relic

First off I just want to say I really like this forum it's helped me a quite a bit.

Well, call me a nut but I'm in love with OpenSolaris. The newest release 2009.06 is a match made in heaven for my little Acer 10' D150. Everything works out of the box. The only thing that takes some tweaking is getting the codecs installed. Oh and the battery is just like any other linux distro 2 hours with the 3 cell and about 5 with the 6. Which isn't great but I haven't used Windows in 10 years so I'll live with it.

The only thing that isn't great is the startup times, about 2 minutes.

Anyone else install it, need help getting the codec's installed or hibernation working.

Relic, Jun 13, 2009
  2. Relic

Andysan

I've always wanted to try this. What is performance like please, and what hardware spec is your AAO? Cheers.

Andysan, Jun 13, 2009
  3. Relic

Relic

I've been searching high and low for a Linux distro that was fast and stable for my Acer. I tried Everything from Ubuntu to Puppy Linux. They were all adequate but missed that style that I fell in lived with OSX. Then I remembered Solaris, I used Solaris during my Navy years and loved the stability. So I tried Solaris 10 but it didn't take to well on my Acer, then I read about OpenSolaris being more modern and notebook friendly.

So I installed it last Friday and was blown away. The speed is on par with Ubuntu, applications start up in less then 10 seconds. Video playback is real good. I think flash is even faster then Ubuntu. It's also a very beautiful desktop. I would be more then happy to help you install all the codecs and cool programs needed.

I have the Acer D150 10', 2 GB memory, 128GB SSD from Patriot, 1.66 GHz n280.

Relic, Jun 13, 2009
  4. Relic

Andysan

Thanks, thats decent of you. I've just checked out the hardware requirements and Sun recommend 1GB of RAM. Unfortunately, i am rocking a weedy 8GB/512MB AAO, so will have to buy some more RAM first but i may give it a try within a VM on my desktop.

Cheers!

Andysan, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question