Low Virtual Memory.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by scwinn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. scwinn

scwinn

I have a new Aspire One model 110 with 1gig of RAM and without a hard drive (I think they call it the 8+8). Every time I boot it says "low virtual memory.."

I have the 512 also with LINUX and am very happy with it, but I need the Windows XP version for a special project.

How do I fix the Windows XP Low Virtual Memory issue?

Thanks

scwinn, Jan 2, 2009
  2. scwinn

DiSK

Raise the virtual memory. In other words, the pagefile. It's probably really small, because you have an SSD as a hard disk.

Anyone else think Acer putting XP onto an AAO with a SSD is stupid? Unless it's some version of XP with EWF, which it isn't, I believe, it'll kill the SSD very quickly, wouldn't it?

DiSK, Jan 2, 2009
  3. scwinn

scwinn

1 - what is ewf?

2 - how can I optimize the virtual memory?

3 - How do I get the original Linpus images to convert the machine to LINUX when I am dione my project?

scwinn, Jan 2, 2009
  4. scwinn

GvidoR

1 - I don't know

2 - Right click My Computer ยป Properties. Under Advanced tab click Settings where it says Performance. Go to the Advanced tab and click on Change... there you can put in how big you want your Virtual Memory to be.

3 - Here is a link for the Linpus http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Linpus/Aspi ... overy_DVD/

GvidoR, Jan 2, 2009
  5. scwinn

rory

EWF: Enhanced Write Filter
    Basically stops programs writing to your hdd. XP runs slow on the SSD because its a budget SSD with disgraceful write speeds. And XP writes to the ssd pretty much all the time so the OS runs slow.
    R

rory, Jan 3, 2009
  6. scwinn

slyer

Can anybody tell me how cud i disable the error notification cuz I disable the page file on purpose to run ewf.

slyer, Jan 8, 2009
  7. scwinn

PiqueT

Hello

I have a small problem with the EWF.
    wrong turn the computer and try to see two videos on youtube the system just gives me an indication of low virtual memory.

I disabled the page file, and program jf_autohotkey that just gives me an indication of the memory address is 120 mb of ram.

What can I do to solve this problem?

thanks in advance

:mrgreen:

PiqueT, Feb 11, 2009
  8. scwinn

jackluo923

Why is it so stupid? SSD is suppose to last longer than HDD. If you're not going to use the "write" capabilities of the SSD, why use a SSD in the first place. Get ROM instead (lower seektime, lower power ussage, faster read speed, lower power ussage...etc)

Worrying about "killing the SSD very quickly is the same thing as worrying about laser printer's toner running out.

How quickly things run out depends on how often you use it. If you're just using AAO to browse the web (what netbook are intended to do), the SSD will probably last a couple decades.

jackluo923, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question