Lubuntu on the AA1 (Acer Aspire One)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jango, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jango

jango

Does anyone now if its possible to "join" SD card at storage expansion with home partition like in linpus???

jango, Aug 23, 2011
  2. jango

JimK

I don't know how to make the SD card "join" the home directory, but I have my SD card set up as a subdirectory of home. Just create a folder in home and an an entry to etc/fstab to mount the SD card as, for example, /home/jango/storage. Then everything you save under storage will save to the SD card.

If your current home directory has folders such as docs, photos, music etc., you can move these into the storage folder. That way everything you save in any of those folders will be saved on the SD card. The other things in the home directory, such as desktop settings and applications preferences, will stay on the main drive, whether it's SSD or HD.

I have my SD card formatted as XFS, which mostly works well, except it doesn't automatically remount when the computer comes back on after suspend.

If you need more detailed instructions on any of this, just let me know.

JimK, Aug 23, 2011
  3. jango

jango

Please, can you give detailed instructions to do that? thanks

jango, Aug 23, 2011
  4. jango

RockDoctor

The steps to place /home completely on your SD card follow below (you'll have to be root for this):
    1. Insert an appropriately-sized SD card into one of the card slots. Note - I've got a ZG5, so I've got two slots.
    2. Format the card as a single Linux partition
    3. On the SD card, create a single ext4 filesystem encompassing the whole card
    4. (Optional) Label the filesystem on the SD card
    5. Mount the SD card's filesystem somewhere
    6. Copy everything in your current /home directory to the SD card.
    7. Edit /etc/fstab; adding a line something like this:
    Code:
    /dev/mmcblk0p1  /home  ext4  defaults  1 2
    Be sure to use the appropriate device name for your SD card. I'm not sure if you can use the filesystem label from step 4 here (ie LABEL=MyNewHome instead of /dev/mmcblk0p1)
    8. Log out
    9. Log in as root and enter the command mount -a, or, if you can't log in as root, reboot. This will hide, but not overwrite the contents of /home on your internal drive. If, for some reason this doesn't work, just comment out the line you added to /etc/fstab in step 7 above, and reboot to return to using your old home.

If this works I accept full credit - if it messes up your system I accept no responsibility :lol:

RockDoctor, Aug 27, 2011
  5. jango

jango

Thats not the metod of JimK , but thanks anyway :D

jango, Aug 27, 2011
Ask a Question