LXDE Fedora 16

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Winfried, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Winfried

Winfried

I have just downloaded the spin LXDE-Fedora 16 on my USB stick. I played a little bit around and got the feeling it is faster than LXDE-Fedora 14.
    Anybody out there who has experience with it and can tell if it is worthwhile to change from LXDE Fedora 14 to 16?

Winfried, Dec 28, 2011
  2. Winfried

meine

my experience is that Fedora 16 LXDE is indeed way faster than F14! not only booting but responsiveness alltogether.

only one remark on my side: my AAO only had 512Mb RAM and before installing F16 I added one Gb extra. not for booting but surely for regular use the extra RAM supports speed.

Meine

meine, Jan 21, 2012
  3. Winfried

Winfried

Re: LXDE Fedora 16 not for 512MB RAM

I saw now in the specifications that F16 requires at least 740MB RAM. This is a joke since it means that F16 is not usable for AAO like mine which has only 512MB.
    That also means that LXDE F16 is not anymore lightweighted.
    Since F14 is now historical I have to find a new distro. To bad.

So: GOOD BYE FEDORA

Winfried, Jan 28, 2012
  4. Winfried

Hugh

Unfortunately, all Linuxes are getting fatter. However some (DSL? Puppy?) try to minimize this.

A 512MiB Acer One burns a certain amount of that RAM as the shared video buffer. So, for example, 1M provides way more than twice as much RAM for programs as 512M.

RAM is pretty inexpensive these days if your computer uses DDR3 (my AO522 does but yours may well not).

When you run off a USB stick, you want to have lots of RAM for caching stuff from the stick. That should make the system significantly faster (note: I've not actually tested this so I might be wrong).

Hugh, Jan 31, 2012
Ask a Question