Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SbM

DopyG

Okay I got one last question before installing Leopard on AOA 150 (after spamming this board with questions and being a pain in the ass). I think the reason is I'm very afraid of going into installing Mac Os X since I'm faint hearted :eek:

Is it safe to skip the 10.5.6 update? I dont have USB keyboard for now so if i skip step 22-25 is it safe to follow all the others steps? Like installing voodoo kernel for hyperthreading and all the other fixes?

And is it also safe to update to 10.5.6 at a later point, if I buy a USB keyboard? Updating to 10.5.6 after a week with 10.5.5 wont create an error with all the installed fixes?

DopyG, Apr 14, 2009
  2. SbM

2manydjs

You don't need a USB keyboard if you have another computer and enable remote desktop before the update. Also, I think you can manage with an USB mouse and a virtual/software keyboard.

2manydjs, Apr 14, 2009
  3. SbM

DopyG

Haha nice just what I needed to know! =D Thanks!
    Maybe a software like this will do right?: http://www.assistiveware.com/keystrokes.php

So I just need to install it before the update and after update plug my mouse in and type the password using the virtual keyboard.. After that I reboot and touchpad and native keyboard works again right? =D Thanks alot for the tip!

This seems so hard compared to ideneb, but atleast I can install this from USB...

BTW do anyone know the real difference between iatkos and ideneb? Wich one is got least bugs?

EDIT: I have one last question regarding iatkos... Does it support keyboards from all countrys?
    I for an example comes from Denmark and our keyboard is slightly different because of unique letters like æøå
    Will it still work in iatkos?

Here is a picture of a danish keyboard layout: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... enmark.svg

EDIT2: Some correct me if I'm wrong... This guide tells me to install PC EFI V9 Bootloader... What happens if I dont? I red another dualboot guide about Chain0 wich told me NOT to install any bootloaders with iatkos... Will the installation be affected if I dont install PC EFI V9???

Someone please answer all my edit added questions...

DopyG, Apr 14, 2009
  4. SbM

DopyG

Hate to be a pain in the ass =o
    But someone please answer the edited questions ;(
    Its the last things I need to know before installing Mac OS x =(

DopyG, Apr 15, 2009
  5. SbM

yohko101

heres a couple of stuff i found on the web :D

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/26/installing-osx86-part-1-iatkos-v-kalyway.html

heres the iatkos website which has info multibooting :D

http://iatkos.wikidot.com/[/ur] hope it helps!

yohko101, Apr 16, 2009
  6. SbM

DopyG

WAAAAAH!

I installed almost everything perfect but now USB slots not worknig....
    Someone plz help?

DopyG, Apr 17, 2009
  7. SbM

stuarts123

Well after the second attempt up and running.Thanks for excellant instructions.Changed the wireless card to Dell DW 1490 Airport so WiFi now working,this was the most fiddly bit.Once again thanks for great instructions

stuarts123, Apr 18, 2009
  8. SbM

rakan1234

Does anyone know the best way to install on 8gb ssd??

rakan1234, Apr 18, 2009
  9. SbM

aspirationalone

i use iPC 10.5.6 and everything works great (you can even use it to install the os onto a SD card and boot/install osx from it)

BUT ONE QUESTION...

how do i get 1024*600 resolution? i only get 800 and using the installer of a gma950 package mentioned on this thread now creates a kernel panic at startup. my lcd doesn't sleep either but i assume that's because of the graphics driver.

AOA 150 (120gb)

aspirationalone, Apr 21, 2009
  10. SbM

yohko101

if you download the pack indicated at the original post, there's a folder there called 'part 1'. install the kext there and reboot :D

yohko101, Apr 21, 2009
  11. SbM

hagisbasheruk

Nice work on the tutorial SbM , its been a while since i have had OSX running on my AAO A150 due to Kuki Linux Development and testing , might as well let you all know Kuki3 pre 1.7 is out , so far only one little bug,Keyboard defaults to US but thats easy changed.Talking about keyboards mine is on US layout , i am guessing the Full ISO Keyboard part that threw me is responsible as i was unsure how to open that file to paste in the required file (i'll read up on that later)
    I tried the Kismet thing , didn't work for me , just scans without results , is it safe to just delete the kext or is there a set procedure ?
    I had a D-Link DW-111 lying around and to my suprise there is a driver package for 10.4.1 or something , anyway i installed it in 10.5.6 and it is working like a charm :)
    A nice Softwii Wii Developer is looking into the wifi driver for the AAO :twisted:
    Cheers from haggisland

hagisbasheruk, May 3, 2009
  12. SbM

hagisbasheruk

I forgot to say i have a very low internal mic volume and no external mic, you got a fix for that ?
    EDITED " 8.45 PM same day
    I Tried the new Updated kismet hack and have 100% wifi success with a successfile boot.
    17/20 succesfull boots with 100% successful wifi.

check out
    http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... &p=1148871

hagisbasheruk, May 4, 2009
  13. SbM

Infected24

Wow men, thank you so much!!! This works for me, no more laggy system while running voodoopower. :mrgreen:

Infected24, May 6, 2009
  14. SbM

adeon

Thanks alot for this amazing tut.

I managed to get Win7 and OSX working on my AAO.

I am using OSX, and I got to admit this OS is just AWSOME.

I couldent get Ubuntu working, but I know that OSX will keep me entertained for a very long long time.

Once again, thank you OP

adeon, May 8, 2009
  15. SbM

corleoneforum

Thank you...
    Great great great job...
    Works like a charm...

corleoneforum, May 8, 2009
  16. SbM

beltloop

Can you install the 10.5.7 update after using this method?

beltloop, May 12, 2009
  17. SbM

FreeStyLeMaSTeR

I wonder if it is safe to update to 10.5.7 ?

FreeStyLeMaSTeR, May 13, 2009
  18. SbM

Cralex

I'd wait on the upgrade if I were you. It sounds like there are some complications. Someone will come up with a safe way to upgrade soon.

Cralex, May 14, 2009
  19. SbM

Guest Guest

Hi SbM;

Thanks for this tutorial! It worked on my AAO instantly!
    Except for the upgrade, it came to be an upgrade to 10.5.7 and my system crashed during boot.
    So I left step #20 out from your tutorial (the Software-upgrade) and took every step that followed, and everything worked as it should!
    I managed to use "sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" to get 4 seconds off of the boot-pause.
    Would it be okay to just leave the pause out in any manner/way?
    And would the system get a boost and become faster in use when I install the Voodoo kernel?

Thank you so much again, I really like my MACAAO!
    :cool:

Ruud

Guest, May 14, 2009
  20. SbM

Api

I tried the delta-update on a copy made with "Super-Duper".
    It boots to the finder, but only with a 800x600 resolution.
    So I re-installed the 4 kexts from Diablo's Kexts/Part1 and after reboot (the PowerManagement.bundle was trashed)
    there was only graphic rubbish on the screen, but it has booted to the welcome screen.
    I think the gma950.kext makes the problems.

Api, May 15, 2009
Ask a Question