Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SbM

carlisle_united

No I can't get it to work.
    After I changed the seatbelt kext it panics when I insert the USB stick instead of just not mounting it...

I'll reinstall it with 10.5.5 until there is a proper solution...

carlisle_united, Jan 25, 2009
  2. SbM

chuckcalo

Have you tried using the 10.5.5 system.kext aswell?

chuckcalo, Jan 25, 2009
  3. SbM

carlisle_united

Jepp that made it a real mess, it made it panic every time I even thought of pluging in a usb stick.

carlisle_united, Jan 25, 2009
  4. SbM

prepst

Hi there,
    I tried to install OSX into my Aspire One, and success to do it.
    Very kindfullness of guides, proper steps helps me and my One.
    Thanks a lot.

Now I am ordering a miniPCIe wifi card that use Broadcom's wifi chip.
    After I change the wifi module, I would upload my report somewhare in this Forum.

prepst, Jan 26, 2009
  5. SbM

Dan1jel

awsome tutorial, worked like a charm (exept that voodoo kernel, dont realy know how to put in the right words in terminal..(?!))

but i got 2 questions...

1. is it possible to "klick" by just tapping the trackpad? (and / or to use the right mouse klick with 2 fingers?)
    2. what is this for an icon??? i have one macbook and i never seen that icon before... :S
    [​IMG]

Dan1jel, Jan 27, 2009
  6. SbM

SbM

Launch Terminal (it's in /Applications/Utilities). Then in Terminal's window, type (always without quotes) "cd /" then press return, type "sudo chown root:wheel mach_kernel.voodoo" then type return, type "sudo chmod 644 mach_kernel.voodoo" then press return, type "sudo pico .hidden" then press return. This last line will launch the pico editor with a blank file. Type "mach_kernel.voodoo", then press [CTRL]+[X], [Y] then [RETURN]. You'll be back in Terminal's window : type "killall Finder" then press return. Done!

System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse

It shows up when you insert an SD card and it's not recognized. You can put it away by Command-Option-clicking it and dragging it away from the menu bar.

SbM, Jan 27, 2009
  7. SbM

Dan1jel

It shows up when you insert an SD card and it's not recognized. You can put it away by Command-Option-clicking it and dragging it away from the menu bar.[/quote:2x5wuite]

Awsome thnx for the fast replay! :D
    but i still have a little questions, what is the main diffrent from the "standard" kernel, and the voodoo kernel?
    is it only speel or anything els? is it worth to "upgrade" to voodoo, or when it still works, just leave it then ?!
    (becose i typed something wrong in terminal and it dident boot, had to format and do everything agane)

well the SD is always shown even if i dont have any sd cards in it right now and it allways says "unknown Vendor........" but well, now i know what it is and it seems to work (not the menubar icon, but the mount and use) so thats not a problem for me any more :D

and in System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse, i only have "Keyboard & Keyboard Shortcuts" why do i not have mouse or trackpad ?

hope you can help me with this questions aswell, thnx for all the info and help so far // regards

Dan1jel, Jan 27, 2009
  8. SbM

Dan1jel

SbM maybe you can help me? :(

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  9. SbM

SbM

I thought I had replied but that was obviously not the case, sorry ;)

About the voodoo kernel, yes, it's a lot faster and it enables the processor's hyperthreading functionality (cf. diablonet's topic)

About the Keyboard & Mouse prefpane, try removing your language .lproj folder as explained towards the end of my tutorial.

SbM, Jan 28, 2009
  10. SbM

Dan1jel

*peuh* i did it with that voodoo kernel *success* thnx so much for the help SbM!! awsome tutorial

but there is still one problem for me.. and thats is about the trackpad, i cant just "tapp" the keyboard to "klick" on things.. i need to press the left button and that is kind of enoying :D

u said i shuld delete the my lanugage .lproj, but if i do that, will my language layout be "destroyed" and i will have an english layout? is there any way to fix the "tapp" option and still have my language layout?!

like i said, thnx for all your help, but its just this little thing i need help with to make it working at 100%

oh and another think.. now i cant open .dmg files :( it crash when its trying to open.. what can i do to solve this?!
    and now i noticed that my USB ports wont work.. how can i remove this voodoo kernel (i think thats the way to fix the usb and .dmg problem)

please help :(

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  11. SbM

Dan1jel

please... im realy stuck now.. cant find any solutions to fix the

.dmg and usb problem.. :(

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  12. SbM

SbM

Your Keyboard & Mouse will be in English, yes. I haven't found a fix for this yet, sorry.

Well USB and .dmg work fine here with the voodoo kernel, so you must have done something wrong. I never tried to uninstall the voodoo kernel, so I don't know how to do it at this point.

SbM, Jan 28, 2009
  13. SbM

Dan1jel

hmm ok... becose i can skip the trackpad thing... but i realy need the usb port to work and so i can open .dmg files..

i noticed in "diablonet" topic, there is ppl who have the same problem as me.. no usb port working and cant mount .Dmg files (on page 2) so there must be a fix for it somehow.. please cant u help me to look for it or "how to" get it to work.. becose im realy new to this and dont know what to look for :(

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  14. SbM

SbM

As much as I'd like to help you, I have absolutely no clue as to why it doesn't work on your machine. Sorry :(

SbM, Jan 28, 2009
  15. SbM

Dan1jel

oh ok.. well thnx so much for a good tutorial! and thnx for all your help!

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  16. SbM

rory

Try getting the 10.5.5 system.kext and 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext from google and installing them using kext helper

rory, Jan 28, 2009
  17. SbM

Dan1jel

awsome thnx, now i can mount .dmg files, but my USB ports still dont work :( any one got a fix for that?

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  18. SbM

Kopsis

Voodoo is faster in benchmarks, but unless you are using heavily multi-threaded CPU intensive applications, the average user won't notice a big speed difference. If you're using your AAO as a netbook (primarily web and email), Voodoo isn't really something you need to worry about.

There are a lot of ways to mess up a 10.5.6 install and switching to Voodoo just adds several more. I recommend (especially for folks who aren't OS hackers) sticking with the Vanilla kernel unless you know that the apps you use will benefit from the Hyperthreading ... at least until the 9.6 version of Voodoo comes out (probably within a couple weeks).

Kopsis, Jan 28, 2009
  19. SbM

Dan1jel

ok but how can i get back to Vanilla kernel from Voodoo kernel?
    and if its possible to downgrade, will the seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 be a problem for me now when i have downgrade that..?!
    (the stupid think i did was that i dident save a backup of the seatbelt.kext... :()

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  20. SbM

rory

Best bet for specific questions like uninstalling voodoo kernel would be over at forum.insanelymac.com

rory, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question