Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SbM

SbM

OK, I guess there was a mistake in my guide. I hope I fixed it now (see steps 19 & 19b, and the end of the part about installing the voodoo kernel). What was missing was the instructions to backup System.kext and seatbelt.kext from the 10.5.5 install and to put them back afterwards.

Should work fine now, please tell me if it doesn't.

Sorry about that, guys!

SbM, Jan 28, 2009
  2. SbM

rory

10.5.6 system.kext and seatbelt.kext
    For those "downgrading" from voodoo too vanilla
    And...
    10.5.5 seatbelt.kext and system.kext for those "upgrading" to voodoo from vanilla 10.5.6

rory, Jan 28, 2009
  3. SbM

SbM

Thanks rory, that'll be very helpful for those who need them.

SbM, Jan 28, 2009
  4. SbM

Dan1jel

awsome! thnx so much, but what do i type in terminal to remove the voodoo kernel? becose in this topic i need to type things in the terminal to make the voodoo kernel work..

maybe SbM knows? :)

Dan1jel, Jan 28, 2009
  5. SbM

kelokera

When your Mac OS X desktop is up and running, launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" (without quotes), then press [RETURN]. You'll be asked for your password: type it

Im stuck i wont let me put mi password im using a usb keyboard and it dont work any help

kelokera, Jan 28, 2009
  6. SbM

Kopsis

Voodoo to vanilla: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8411

Kopsis, Jan 29, 2009
  7. SbM

robo

Just installed with these instructions, with the exception that i did an MBR partition map and three partitions so I could dual boot WinXP. Works great, including voodoo kernel and disk images.. Thanks for the guide!

robo, Jan 29, 2009
  8. SbM

robo

I should mention that I installed an Apple Airport card to replace the stock WiFi card, and it works great under MacOS X, and in Windows as well. The WiFi switch and light on the front are no longer doing anything, but that's fine...

robo, Jan 29, 2009
  9. SbM

blueboyracer

I am so sorry to ask what might be a stupid question, but

When I boot from the DVD the installation seems to start, in that I can see an apple logo and the rotating symbol.

However, a window pops up saying that my machine needs to be restarted, by holding down my power button.

It does not matter how many times I do this it keeps coming up.

Any help would be appreciated...

Many thanks
    Richard

blueboyracer, Jan 29, 2009
  10. SbM

robo

blueboyracer - that is a kernel panic. Basically the equivalent of the Windows blue screen of death. There is perhaps something wrong with your burned DVD..

robo, Jan 29, 2009
  11. SbM

blueboyracer

I shall burn a new one and try again...
    Thanks

blueboyracer, Jan 30, 2009
  12. SbM

NormalInk

Thanks so much for the tutorial. Now for my issue.

I've done my very best to follow the instructions here to the letter, but I'm stuck between steps 4 and 5. When I select the USB drive from the boot menu, it just gives me a cursor and a black screen, and the activity indicator LEDs on the USB stick flash for a few seconds and then stop completely. I've let it sit like that for about 10 minutes, both with the power plugged in and running on battery (no idea if the power management setup could make a difference).

I'm using an 8GB PNY Attaché that I've set up using a computer running Leopard. The AAO I'm working with is the A150 with BIOS v3305. Any thoughts??

NormalInk, Jan 30, 2009
  13. SbM

SbM

It's a USB memory stick, right? Not a hard drive? I don't think it'll work this way, you'll have to look at the topic about installing with a USB key, somewhere in the OSX section of this forum. Good luck!

SbM, Jan 30, 2009
  14. SbM

blueboyracer

I am sorry but I burnt a new DVD but teh same screen appears

Saying that I need to restart my computer, by holding down....

Am I missing something completely silly, as I have successfully got both Linpus and TinyXP multi-booting already.
    I have 4 partitions of which the 3rd is for OSX formated HPS+ and I have marked it with the boot flag.

Sorry but help needed ... Thanks

blueboyracer, Jan 30, 2009
  15. SbM

SbM

Possibly your external DVD reader needs more power (try a "Y"-shaped USB cable), or your .iso of OSX86 is corrupted. Check its MD5 signature.

SbM, Jan 30, 2009
  16. SbM

NormalInk

I'll give it a shot with a hard drive and report back. Thanks!

NormalInk, Jan 30, 2009
  17. SbM

Gom33

qwhen i do this in terminal "sudo pico /Library/Prefrences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and after I type in my password it shows the screen, as far as its suppose to look... but my terminal screen is just blank... it doesnt have the boot.plist so i can change it... it shows i am in the file, but it doesn't show anything in terminal... i tried to just edit it by looking for it in finder, i found it, edited it, but i cant save it since i only have read previlage on it...

any help is greatly appreciated...

Gom33, Jan 31, 2009
  18. SbM

SbM

Try this way : type "sudo pico ", look for the file in the Finder and then drag and drop it to the Terminal window.

You're simply making a mistake when typing the path, I guess.

SbM, Jan 31, 2009
  19. SbM

blueboyracer

Many thanks I have done it by following the guide.

I am up to point 18 and OSX is working fine, so not far to go.

The problem was with the DVD image, I had not checked the iso image and it was missing the last 7%, so when I fired up bittorrent it completed, I burnt another DVD and hey presto...

Thanks again.

blueboyracer, Jan 31, 2009
  20. SbM

NormalInk

Well, I've now tried with an external USB hard drive. It's a powered drive, but I can't see how that could make any difference. Just throwing it out there in case it does. This time I let it sit for about 20 minutes with the blinking cursor and still nothing. Could it make any difference that this is an A150, and might things be improved if I upgrade the BIOS to 3309? I'm clutching at straws here, but it's all I've got.

NormalInk, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question