Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SbM

kdc

I'm getting the same problem, no matter what I do, I can open the file using nano or editing the file directly but either way it wont let me save, just says permission denied, even when root is enabled... any ideas?

kdc, Feb 1, 2009
  2. SbM

Gom33

what i did was use finder...go to

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

drag the com.apple.Boot.plist file onto your desktop...

open that file from the desktop and edit it with text editor...

save file..

drag that file back to the same location and replace...

Gom33, Feb 1, 2009
  3. SbM

SbM

Then you probably didn't use OSX86Tools correctly to make that partition bootable. I had this happen to me once, and I think you really have to "FDISK" the partition and "Enable EFI" afterwards.

SbM, Feb 1, 2009
  4. SbM

SbM

When you run "sudo pico" etc. and it asks for your password, are you positively sure you type it correctly? If you're using a non-QWERTY keyboard, did you check it hadn't switched back to a QWERTY layout?

SbM, Feb 1, 2009
  5. SbM

NormalInk

I've been running FDISK and installing EFI every time. Is there a difference between installing EFI and enabling EFI? I've tried both PC EFI v8 and Chameleon.

I've also tried both with and without erasing the contents of the drive when I restore the image to the drive. I'm really running out of ideas. Can anyone confirm that they've gotten this to work with an AAO with BIOS 3305?

NormalInk, Feb 2, 2009
  6. SbM

SbM

Don't know what version of the BIOS I'm running but I'm pretty sure it's the very first one, as I purchased my Aspire One on the 12th of July last year. Is there a way to know for sure what version I'm running?

As for your problem : maybe your iATKOS .iso file got corrupted. Did you check its MD5 signature?

SbM, Feb 2, 2009
  7. SbM

NormalInk

I did when I first got it, and it was fine, but since then, it's somehow gotten corrupted over the 20 or so times I've mounted it and restored from it. I'm not sure how that's possible (I did copy it to an external drive and back and upgraded my system, so maybe that was it). I'm going to repair permissions and try starting the whole process over from scratch tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all your help!

NormalInk, Feb 2, 2009
  8. SbM

SbM

Update : extended display fix with GMA950.pkg.

SbM, Feb 3, 2009
  9. SbM

robo

Awesome. Thanks SbM.

robo, Feb 3, 2009
  10. SbM

DuncDisorderly

Hey Guys

First thanks to SBM for all his work here and a great guide....alas it would appear im rubbish at following it. :cry:

Before installing the 10.5.6 update after installation i forgot to do the backup of the Keyboard preferences and now I can only use my AAO with an external mouse/keyboard. Can anyone help me out by either uplaoding their preference file or telling me another work around to re-enable the Keyb & Mouse?

Cheers guys!

Dunc.

DuncDisorderly, Feb 3, 2009
  11. SbM

robo

Here you go - the 10.5.5 version:

robo, Feb 3, 2009
  12. SbM

DuncDisorderly

DuncDisorderly, Feb 3, 2009
  13. SbM

red97vette

first off, thanks for the awesome write up! very detailed and extensive :) Im now running OSX on my AA1!

My problem:
    During the whole install, any time i needed to use Terminal, and a password was needed, they keyboard letter keys did not work. The ENTER key worked, but i couldnt type in anything! I even tried setting the password to nothing so that I could just hit ENTER, but that doesnt seem to work either. SO during the cpus=1 part of the directions I just went into the file itself and editied it. That worked. However, I tried installing the voodoo thing and its asking for a password everytime after the "cd /" part... and ofcourse my AA1 isnt allowing me to type when the "password:" part comes up, so im screwed. I even did the Voodoo install package, and now I cant to the Terminal part.....!
    Ive also noticed my USB ports are not working either, and they always have been.

Help!!

red97vette, Feb 4, 2009
  14. SbM

SbM

You're new to Mac OS X, aren't you ? ;)

When it asks for your password, Terminal /hides/ what you're typing so that other people that might be around can't read it. But it works. You don't see your password being typed, but it is.

SbM, Feb 4, 2009
  15. SbM

red97vette

ooh,...wow well, ill try again. (so the cursor doesnt more either?)

BUT now ive got a BIGGER problem!! I tried installing the seatbelt and system.kext files from 10.5.5 that was provided here a few pages back, and then rebooted. Well now its not booting. I get a "Use (up arrow, down arrow) keys to select the startup volume." The only volume is "hd(0,2) AspireOneHD" then below it says "Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no problems. or you can: Type -v and press enter to start up with diagnostic messages. Type ? and press enter to learn about advanced startup options." The the cursor is blinking next to "boot :"

Ive tried pressing Enter, and the "-v" and "?" and nothing works. What do I do?

red97vette, Feb 4, 2009
  16. SbM

SbM

That's right.

If you didn't use Kext Helper to install them you're probably screwed... :(

SbM, Feb 4, 2009
  17. SbM

red97vette

damn it all... oh well, i guess back to square one and do it all over again. and i just downloaded a 5 gig file last night too on it! gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

red97vette, Feb 4, 2009
  18. SbM

red97vette

i reinstalled everything and this time it was a success! thanks for the great directions and writeup!!!

red97vette, Feb 4, 2009
  19. SbM

Timan

Everything went perfect till I installed the voodoo kernel. Followed every step here, and used the 2 files from page 5 viewtopic.php?p=67754#p67754

Now I am getting the following at bootup, any ideas?

[​IMG]

Timan, Feb 4, 2009
  20. SbM

robo

You've got yourself a kernel panic there. The equivalent of a Windows bluescreen.

Did you make sure to use the correct files from the post you linked to? You'll want the 10.5.5 ones, not the 10.5.6

robo, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question