Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SbM

Riter

I need help with installing this program, honestly iam a rookie at this.

I got to step number 18 and i downloaded the .kext files. After i do this i don't touch any of the files that are on the screen?

I also need help on how to do step 19. On how to do the backup?

Riter, Feb 12, 2009
  2. SbM

carlisle_united

Hi...

What do you mean with the step 18 question?
    You have to touch the files in order to install them. ;)

On your second question i'm affraid I can't help you with since I allways install the Voodoo via the installer when I instal OSX.

carlisle_united, Feb 12, 2009
  3. SbM

Riter

Hi, thank you for answering back so quick. Firstable, I did not install voodoo from OSX BECAUSE THE INSTRUCTIONS DID NOT SAY TO DO SO. Do you recommend me to do it from the OSX? Because I want the 10.5.6 version. Iam using the iATKOS V5i, i followed the instruction from page1 in this page to step 18. This step tells me to download (http://perso.numericable.fr/sbmordino/A ... 6_Pack.zip). I downloaded it, but it did not say which to install. Step 19 says to make a - backup /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/seatbelt.kext . Where could I find this backup? Is it in the terminal? Do you have to do a backup to all the files or erase them from the terminal?

Is there a way that I could comunicate with you through email or messenger? thanks

Riter, Feb 13, 2009
  4. SbM

SbM

You're a bit lost here, mate, aren't you ?

OK, the AAO_SbM_OSX_1056_Pack.zip contains stuff that you'll need to install later on, that's why you have to download it in the first place.

Step 19 tells you to backup /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/seatbelt.kext to your desktop computer or a USB memory card or any safe place you can think of. That means you have to copy or drag'n'drop those files to a safe location, because you'll need them later on after you install the voodoo kernel. Same thing at step 19b.

I don't know how I could make this any clearer ;)

SbM, Feb 13, 2009
  5. SbM

SbM

FYI, Java Update 3 for Mac OS X 10.5 and Security Update 2009-001 look safe to install.

SbM, Feb 13, 2009
  6. SbM

carlisle_united

Well... it actually tells you what and when to install from step 24 and onwards.

carlisle_united, Feb 13, 2009
  7. SbM

chomp

could someone repost the files that I should've backed up at stage 19b (keyb pref pane) as the link no longer works and like a muppet I didn't back it up

Would it possible to have 19b changed, as the way I read it 19a said if I was using the voodoo kernal to do something (which I wasn't) so I ignored 19b as well

just a thought.

Cracking tutorial though, apart from my ineptitue I've now done a full rebuild after playing with iatkos4 for a while with almost no issues

chomp, Feb 13, 2009
  8. SbM

SbM

Done! ;)

SbM, Feb 13, 2009
  9. SbM

Mopeto

A question here, it is not posibble to "restore" the Iso to the Usb drive FROM Windows and not Mac? I don´t have a External CD-Rom [Well I have another Desktop PC and a network betwen them but not another hd free, if that helps]
    Thanks

Mopeto, Feb 13, 2009
  10. SbM

miguelllodra

i alredy do all the steps but my keyboard and my mice dont work. what can i do?

thans for your instaling guide.

miguelllodra, Feb 13, 2009
  11. SbM

sihill

any way of installing MacOS form pendrive?

sihill, Feb 13, 2009
  12. SbM

Dalton63841

Dalton63841, Feb 13, 2009
  13. SbM

semis

Hi, first post! :)

Thanks for the tutorial, my installation runs well and is nearly done right now.

One thing i had problem with - just an info:

If you use The OSX86Tools to prepare a USB drive, don't use the most current version:

"Some reports have come in that the new version of OSx86Tools's EFI installation sometimes does not actually yield the partitions bootable. In this case sometimes using the old Terminal based installer may help. You can download the old build 149 of OSx86Tools that had the Terminal based installer here..."

http://pcwizcomputer.com/osx86tools/ind ... &Itemid=36

semis, Feb 13, 2009
  14. SbM

sjb05004

Alright guys, I need some help. I've followed all directions, but i'm struggling getting my keyboard and mouse working again. I backed up my original keyboard.prefpane and installed it after the 10.6 update, but it did not work. From there the way I understood it I was supposed to delete my language .proj, which is English and I deleted it with no success. I got frustrated and deleted all languages with still no progress. Finally I tried the linked file and I googled another one and tried to install both of those which neither worked. As it is now I have a full, great install with no keyboard or mouse support except via usb. If anyone can shed some light on what to do next I would appreciate any help. I'm on the brink of just starting over and trying it all over again. Thanks!

sjb05004, Feb 15, 2009
  15. SbM

rory

For God's sake can nobody here read.
    To get keyboard and mouse working you have to install
    ApplePS2Keyboard.kext using kext helper

Installing the prefpane just gives you the settings preference pane back in system preferences.

SbM, maybe update the first post to clarify this? I would do it myself but I think you'll be able to word it into the guide better.
    Rory

rory, Feb 15, 2009
  16. SbM

SbM

Except you can't install ApplePS2Keyboard.kext using Kext Helper, since it goes /inside/ another .kext.

Maybe that's what people are trying to do. No surprise it doesn't work then.

I don't see how I could make it any clearer in the guide. Any suggestions are most welcome.

SbM, Feb 15, 2009
  17. SbM

carlisle_united

Don't think it can be made any clearer...

People just don't read it and then they come crying. :)

carlisle_united, Feb 15, 2009
  18. SbM

semis

I think it's written really clearly, i had no problems so far. =)
    One small thing i noticed - i had no "AppleHDA.kext" in my /System/Library/Extensions/ folder, so i couldn't delete it - i just continued without that step and it seems to work?

semis, Feb 15, 2009
  19. SbM

SbM

Yes, I seem to remember I had it on my first install but not on the next one, so I really don't know when and how it shows up. I just included instructions to delete it just in case.

SbM, Feb 15, 2009
  20. SbM

semis

Good to know.

Ooookay, i'm done with the installations just now, love my new miniMacBook. ;)
    Thanks a lot again for the tutorial. <3

semis, Feb 15, 2009
Ask a Question