Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SbM

Mopeto

THHHIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS Was a fucking pain in the ass for me, thanks for clarifing it, I was lost when the usb wont boot xD
    And again, Thanks for the Tutorial =D

Anyone know how to put the keyboard in Latinoamerican??

Mopeto, Feb 16, 2009
  2. SbM

Mopeto

THHHIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS Was a fucking pain in the ass for me, thanks for clarifing it, I was lost when the usb wont boot xD
    And again, Thanks for the Tutorial =D

Anyone know how to put the keyboard in Latinoamerican??

[​IMG]

Mopeto, Feb 16, 2009
  3. SbM

edge_of_sarcasm

Hi !

I have followed the instructions and it works perfect except one thing. I have to reboot to get the USB ports to work. It won't work if i like pu in a USB-pendrive when OS X is booted. If i reboot the system with the drive installed it will mount to the desktop.

Is there any solution for this ?

Regards
    Daniel

edge_of_sarcasm, Feb 16, 2009
  4. SbM

edge_of_sarcasm

UPDATE

Have not yet come across a solution for the USB problem, but have manage to get the WiFi working.

The solution for this was to swap the Wifi-card to an AirPort card from Apple model No BCM94321MC.
    No software hacks needed worked right after i plugged it in.

Should be easy to find these card used on ebay. I took my card from my old broken MacBook :roll:

Regards
    Daniel

edge_of_sarcasm, Feb 16, 2009
  5. SbM

monkymate

I used this guide and it worked great. I did not install the voodoo kernel though. I am Tri-booting XP/OSX/Ubuntu Netbook Remix using Grub.

Wireless is working on all three OS's with a Dell 1390 card.

Upgraded Memory to 1.5 gigs while AAO was open. Plan on putting in mini usb bluetooth inside the AAO when it gets here.(On order)

Some tips:

XP - To use the Dell 1390 card you need to download the drivers from dell here:
    ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R140747.EXE
    and then extract the files from the .exe using winrar or something else. Then point XP towards the directory with the .inf files to get the drivers to load. Running the Dell .exe will not work as it does not see a Dell laptop and aborts. The switch and led work fine in XP.

I installed the whole thing in this order:
    Used GParted using unetbootin and the Gparted ISO to partition drive. Already had 2 partitions, 1st was recovery partition (made a backup of it using Macrium Reflect for later if needed or wiped), 2nd was Acer XP partition. I shrunk the Acer Partition to 90 Gb and made one more active partition of 30 GB for OSX (not formatted) and one extended Partition with 2 partitions in it, one formatted ext3 for Ubuntu of about 25GB and a 3 Gb Linux Swap Partition.

Installed Ubuntu 8.10 from a usb stick using unetbootin and an iso image. Followed the guide found here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
    for Acer Aspire One install except the wireless part. It was much easier to get the wireless running using the Dell 1390. DO NOT install any upgrades after installing Ubuntu. The 2.6.27.10 and 11 Kernels break the wired ethernet driver and to get to the net you will have to use a usb wireless or wired adapter until the Dell 1390 Drivers are installed. Stay with the .9 kernel (default under 8.10). To get wireless running just go to System/Administration/Hardware Drivers on the top menu. When it opens you will see a "Broadcom B43 wireless driver", just select it and install it. Wireless will work after a reboot. Other than that all of the other things in the Guide are great.

I then installed OSX using this guide.I had purchased an external usb powered DVD drive by now so I used a DVD. Follow it and it will work. You now lost your grub boot loader though after this install. Put your usb stick with Ubuntu 8.10 back in and use f12 to boot from it. Open a terminal in (Find Terminal in Applications/Accesories on the menu. Then follow this guide to get grub back.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

I install grub to the MBR, and this shows how to do that or to somewhere else if you want.

Now you need to edit the grub boot.lst to get OSX86 to boot and to get the operating system of choice as the one that boots by default.

To do that just do this in a terminal window:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    add the following lines to the file: NOTE: If you used a different partitioning scheme then change the hd0,2 to where ever OSX is. hd0,0 is the first partition (Acer Recovery in this case), hd0,1 is the XP partition, hd0,2 is OSX.

title MacOSX
    root (hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

Now as to changing the boot order. In this file you will see lots of entries like the one above. The first one in the list after all of the comments is the one that is the default boot entry. Just move the Windows XP or OSX entries (all lines of it) up to just below the comment lines. Make sure there is a blank line between entries. Change the titles to whatever you want it to say.

Enjoy a Tri-boot machine.

monkymate, Feb 16, 2009
  6. SbM

2manydjs

Thanks for this tutorial for dummies! For the first time I'm using OS X as my main OS. The thing that bothers me most right now is the fan, even though it spins at a low speed. It would be great if we would have some kind of fan control.

Performance is not perfect, but very decent! There are some slowdowns on heavy write activity, because I'm on the 110L with Samsung 8GB SSD. These slowdowns are as annoying as on Ubuntu, but less annoying then on a n-lited XP (I used Ron's image for about 5 months). I expect these will be gone once I have upgraded the SSD to a faster 16GB. Boottime is good (haven't timed it yet, but it's under 1 min), about the same as a n-lited XP.

What doesn't work properly for me is the microphone. Yes it works, but the volume is so low it's unusable. The line-in doesn't work at all (this was to be expected). Does anyone know how to crank up the input volume?

EDIT
    After disabling caching in Safari, slowdowns are less common than on Ubuntu with Firefox (caching disabled) or Windows with Chrome.

2manydjs, Feb 20, 2009
  7. SbM

EuqirneSelbor

Hey has anybody tried all this on the newest AAO netbook iteration; the 10-inch D150? Did it work out well or were there problems?

EuqirneSelbor, Feb 20, 2009
  8. SbM

diablonet

google "latin america layout mac", follow instructions for installing, and select that layout on international(preferences) after that restart your mac and voila! it works for me with a Microsoft Keyboard, its incredible that mac has not LA layout ..

diablonet, Feb 21, 2009
  9. SbM

AK963

Hi,
    First off, thanks for making this tutorial, must have taken ages to figure out the exact steps ;)

My problem is that it simply wont install. I'm running it off an iPod Mini from this guide(only this I have at my disposal atm :( ) After formatting my hard drive and selecting the patches the installer begins, but stops at about 2%. The HDD indicator stops flashing and the progress bar sops moving (it isn't hanging, as the bar animation is still going and I can move the mouse), I then get an error about the 10.5.5 package. I have no idea what to do.. I have tried making the iPod bootable twice, but the same thing always happens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

AK963, Feb 25, 2009
  10. SbM

SbM

Installing from an iPod is not a good idea, sorry.

SbM, Feb 25, 2009
  11. SbM

AK963

Yeah I always knew that, I'm just surprised it managed to boot but not install. Oh well, I'll just order an IDE to USB cable and get a friend to burn me the DVD. Thanks for your help though .

AK963, Feb 25, 2009
  12. SbM

2manydjs

The iPod is clearly bootable, so you don't have to worry about that. Did you perform a MD5 check on the ISO?
    Why not? I have used my (FireWire) iPod many times without any problems.

2manydjs, Feb 25, 2009
  13. SbM

AK963

The speeds aren't exactly great and they have strange partitions due to iTunes, but in theory it should work.

I don't know how to do an md5 check on windows :(

AK963, Feb 25, 2009
  14. SbM

SbM

I've heard people complaining that they couldn't install from an iPod, but if you're positive it's possible then I might be wrong.

SbM, Feb 26, 2009
  15. SbM

DutchAcerOne

DutchAcerOne, Feb 26, 2009
  16. SbM

abyuri

Hi, on my AAO 10.5.6 everything is running fine but I can't install the Java update, Security update 2009-1 and Safari beta4.
    any idea to solve this? If I use the software update it tells me there is nothing to update, if I download the packages from apple support site they don't install, I have the red exclamation mark on the HD

second problem, not very important, finder crashes when trying to change permissions on a file from the info window (command+i).

abyuri, Feb 26, 2009
  17. SbM

SbM

I noticed this as well. Solution is to change 'em from the Terminal, or to install the Batchmod utility.

SbM, Feb 26, 2009
  18. SbM

SbM

UPDATE : added instructions to install SuperHai's VoodooPower.kext (enables autothrottling feature).

SbM, Feb 26, 2009
  19. SbM

2manydjs

As discussed here, it seems multiple people have audio/performance problems with the voodoo power kexts when running on battery power.

2manydjs, Feb 26, 2009
  20. SbM

SbM

Holy crap you're right ! Damn... OK, back to the unthrottled version then... sorry guys...

SbM, Feb 27, 2009
Ask a Question