Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SbM

2manydjs

Let's hope superhai releases a new version soon hat fixes this problem. I have let him know about the problem.

2manydjs, Feb 27, 2009
  2. SbM

thinkofacer

hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm really thinking of buying an Acer Aspire One because I want to install OS X on it. I have a macbook. I was going to buy a mac mini for my mom but instead I think I might buy one of these instead if I figure it out. Can I install 10.5.6 on this kind of Acer I'm looking to buy? I've been looking at the Acer Aspire One Netbook with Intel Atom Processor N270- the model number is : AOA110-1558. I don't know much about Acer notebooks and I know a little about PC's. I use primarily my Macbook but I think I can follow directions if they're clear enough and also if I could ask questions if I'm confused about something. So yeah, can you use that kind of computer to install Leopard 10.5.6? Thanks!

thinkofacer, Feb 28, 2009
  3. SbM

AK963

Yes, you can install leopard on any aspire one. However, it does take some work (easier and imo best method is iDeneb v1.4) and will require some hacking to update. I would recommend one of the 120GB or 160GB AAO's as you wont need to worry about installation size and it will be much faster than an SSD. Also you will want to get 1GB of RAM, 512 probably won't cut it for OSX. In my opinion it isn't a good idea to give to someone. "Hackintoshes" sometimes have issues that need to be sorted, and somethings just don't work on the AAO, but hey, thats just my opion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do - Mac mini or AAO.

AK963, Feb 28, 2009
  4. SbM

robo

I would not recommend a hackintosh for anyone's mom, unless said mom is a computer geek who enjoys spending evenings fiddling with her computers.

It's a cool thing to be able to do, and useful for some people, but if you want a computer that 'just works', you'll need to get a real Mac.

robo, Feb 28, 2009
  5. SbM

SbM

If her son installs it for her, she'll have nothing to fiddle with.

As to iDeneb being the easiest distro to install, I'll second that.

SbM, Feb 28, 2009
  6. SbM

2manydjs

I would recommend an other netbook. I have heard the Dell Mini's hardware is close to fully working and I believe the MSI wind is more popular as hackintosh. Especially the lack of sleep would make me not choose the Acer as a hackintosh..

2manydjs, Mar 1, 2009
  7. SbM

jdmd15b7

Noob question:
    I'm currently dual booting XP and Ubuntu, but want to triple boot to include OSX. If I follow this guide, when I create the partition (one of the first steps in the guide) will I be able to leave my existing two partitions alone and create a third for OSX?

jdmd15b7, Mar 1, 2009
  8. SbM

Dalton63841

That depends on whether you have free space on the hard drive. If not you'll need to resize your partitions to make room for OSX

Dalton63841, Mar 2, 2009
  9. SbM

SbM

FYI Mac OS X 10.5 needs 8 GB at the very least, and will get real slow on such a small partition. If you can give it 15GB or more, it should be ok.

SbM, Mar 2, 2009
  10. SbM

semis

True.
    If you plan to buy a netbook as a hackintosh you may find this interesting:
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-hac ... -x-netbook
    ... but of course, the AAO is cheaper, and i'm happy with mine (if only the sound wouldn't go away when sleeping... ). ;)

semis, Mar 2, 2009
  11. SbM

ivanchi69

do u guys know how to install xcode???

salu2

ivanchi69, Mar 3, 2009
  12. SbM

SbM

Well, you just need to download it and install it. That simple.

SbM, Mar 3, 2009
  13. SbM

ivanchi69

it isn't that simple, i just keep getting a script error dunno why also when i try to install 10.5.6a script error :S

salu2

PS: i have SSD 8 gb version i wonder if that is the problem

ivanchi69, Mar 4, 2009
  14. SbM

SbM

Well probably. How much space left?

SbM, Mar 4, 2009
  15. SbM

ivanchi69

3gb (minimum is 2,5...)

salu2

ivanchi69, Mar 4, 2009
  16. SbM

SbM

Mmmh... That's a seriously slimmed down version of Mac OS X then. Maybe you erased something you should have kept in.

SbM, Mar 4, 2009
  17. SbM

maaaaaaaatt

Slightly noobish problem I'm sure, but everytime I click 'install efi/run fdisk' in OSx86 Tools Utility I get the message in the image..

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

maaaaaaaatt, Mar 5, 2009
  18. SbM

mokumoku

Sleep Mode Idea

Hi, I've just recently stumbled on an idea that may prove to be a work around for sleep not working. Has anybody tried this? I've tried the widget with no luck but the hack looks promising although it's beyond my os x skill set. I hope this helps out!

The Widget:
    http://deepsleep.free.fr/

The Hack:
    http://matt.ucc.asn.au/apple/machibernate.html

mokumoku, Mar 6, 2009
  19. SbM

cangguek

i finally success get 10.5.6 updated, I used trial version virtual keyboard for Mac tp copy keyboard prefpane and typing authenticating password.
    but still, my usb not working unless i boot with usb stick on the port.

I install Voodoo Kernel since beginning, and no need to type "cpus=1", and no problem here.

cangguek, Mar 8, 2009
  20. SbM

gluefish

iAtkos/AspireOne/external drive

Installing on external USB hard disk, 250gB partitioned with OS X Extended Journalled with GUID.
    Installation of iAtkos_5i seems to go well up to the reboot.
    After step 14, I reboot, then hit F12, and select the external hard disk.
    It goes to black screen with flashing dash cursor. ???
    If I restart with iAtkos dvd, I can go into terminal and verify that what looks like normal OS X structure is now on the external drive in /Volumes/AcerAspireOne.

I am pretty sure I followed your instructions to the letter, except for using an external HD. Am I missing something?

EDIT 3/12/09: Never mind. I decided to blow away the internal drive's partition and try it there. Worked OK internally. I still don't know why it wouldn't boot off the external drive. But I'm happy now, using the external drive for my time machine backup.

gluefish, Mar 11, 2009
Ask a Question