Mac OS X 10.5.6 install for dummies (using iATKOS_5i)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. SbM

heysurreal

Hey SbM - first I want to say thanks for a very nice guide. Long time lurker here - I have installed iAtkos 10.5.6 on my AAO (Linpus / 120Gb hard drive / Dell 1390 WiFi) using a combination of this, Rory and Diablonet's guides and now have a rock solid OSX install. I have been watching the AAO forums and wanted to share a few small fixes which I have picked up in other forums but have not seen here. I have an almost perfect OSX install - the only thing that does not work for me is hibernation/sleep and the mic input does not work/built-in mic volume is too low (and to be honest I have not tried to fix either).

1) Separate Touchpad prefs in 10.5.6 - I have this working fine. I found the thread located here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=142466 and used the file located here http://www.megaupload.com/ru/?d=7WAN7BMH (the faster way). This file comes from the MSI Wind forums. For some reason the preference pane did not show up on the first reboot - but did a couple of reboots later and works perfect.

2) No Audio Stuttering with VoodooPower and Voodoo Kernel - as has been discovered by some, using this combination on battery power you get stuttering when doing anything on the AAO involving sound. In my case this even led to a couple of kernel panics when doing something as simple as emptying the trash. Anyway - I found this over at the VoodooPower issues site http://code.google.com/p/voodoo-power/i ... etail?id=9 which talked about disabling a feature called TStateControl. So I decided to have a look at the info.plist inside the kext. Sure enough - inside was a flag which could be set to false and thereby disabling TStateControl. I did this, reinstalled the kext and now - no more stuttering!

To do this, I suggest:

a) download a new VoodooPower.kext from the site - this ensures you have the latest version
    b) Right click on the freshly downloaded kext, select Show Package Contents and go into the folder called Contents.
    c) Inside that folder is a file called Info.plist. Right click and select open with Textedit (or another text editor if you have one installed)
    d) In that file you will see three main indented sections headed <key>OnAC</key>, <key>OnBattery</key> and <key>On BatteryLow</key>
    e) Under each one you will find <key>TStateControl</key> and the value for that key directly underneath
    f) Where ever the value for TStateControl is <true/>, change it to <false/> - I think that there are only two places
    g) Save the file and reinstall the kext using Kext Helper

3) Kernel Panic at shutdown when on battery
    : I initially had this issue as well - I have eliminated it, but not by using a shutdown sound as seems to be the generally accepted method on the forums. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, but during my various travels accross the forums, I have seen mention of deleting extensions.mkext in /System/Library and rebooting. That may have done it for me. I have reinstalled and recreated that file a number of times and I think this may be what fixed it for me but I can't guarantee it.

4) 10.5.6 "Voodoo" Kernel: I am using an unofficial Voodoo Kernel based on 10.5.6 sources which was built by Andy Vandijck. You can find discussion of his first release here http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/9-6-0-ke ... doo-t1858/. Further releases are available here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=153414. I have tried version 1.3 and found it unstable. The best release in my opinion is the first release - according to Andy this is the most "plain vanilla" as it is simply the Voodoo sources updated with the changes made by Apple for 10.5.6. In the following releases he has added in some extra features which add nothing for AAO users and only seem to make it more unstable. Note that if you decide to give this kernel a shot, make sure you use the Seatbelt.kext and System.kext from 10.5.6.

Finally something I have been trying to fix:
    5) SDHC card hotplug SD Cards
    - At one time, the left slot worked perfectly when I inserted a card after booting. The right only worked if I had the card installed during boot. At some point in my various tweaks and adjustments, this stopped working and now both slots will only work if the card is installed during boot. If anyone has any insights into what might have caused this / what might fix this I would be most grateful.

That's it - perhaps if any of the above help others they could be added to the guide on the first page.

heysurreal, Mar 12, 2009
  2. SbM

SbM

Thanks mate! Very useful insight, especially on the "stuttering with VoodooPower" issue. I'll give it a try and shall update my guide accordingly.

Thanks again!

SbM, Mar 12, 2009
  3. SbM

heysurreal

Sbm - while I have your attention. I am curious as you say in the first post that you have both working Mic input and that the built-in Mic also works. Is this really the case? At the moment I have the internal mic working with reasonable (but low and fixed) volume. And nothing happens when I plug an external mic in. I use an external usb sound adapter when using iChat but would love to ditch this if I could get the Microphone input working!

heysurreal, Mar 12, 2009
  4. SbM

SbM

To be honest, I took the info from diablonet's topic (IIRC). I planned on testing this but haven't found the time yet ;)

SbM, Mar 12, 2009
  5. SbM

chuckcalo

I think updates won't hurt your system unless they are OS updates. Saying this because I just installed the new iTunes 8.1 update and the Front Row one.

chuckcalo, Mar 12, 2009
  6. SbM

2manydjs

Great research! Thanks, it worked for me!

2manydjs, Mar 13, 2009
  7. SbM

briviere

Yes for me too.
    Just a strange things. I have 2 battery icones in my task bar... :?:

briviere, Mar 14, 2009
  8. SbM

stefanello

Hi guys, I followed all the guide, also installing the special italian symbols but now my trackpad isn't workin!! How can I solve it? Help me please!

stefanello, Mar 22, 2009
  9. SbM

Infected24

Hi, i installed exactly as the how-to indicates.

But im having a litle issue with my external monitor. Display at System Preferences says the external monitor is running @60hz but the info panel in my monitor menu says the Refresh rate is 59Hz (It should be running @60)

How i can resolve this problem? thanks in advance.

Infected24, Mar 25, 2009
  10. SbM

gluefish

Hello all, I am a happy camper with a nearly perfect install of iAtkos_5i on my AAO.

On the third try, that is. First time, I got a bad copy.
    Second time, I blew it away trying to resize the partition to make room for Windoze.

So, I bought a 1gb dimm, a Dell wifi, and a 250g hard disk, and did the surgery on my AAO.
    Then I followed the instructions on this thread TO THE LETTER (I think). Thanks!

One thing:
    I can't figure out how to get my touchpad to listen to a tap. My kb/mouse control panel doesn't have a touchpad option. Is there a file I didn't get or something?

(I've seen this request earlier on this thread, and someone put up a link that no longer works for this)

gluefish, Mar 26, 2009
  11. SbM

Infected24

Anyone has a decent two finger scroll FFScroll configuration?

With the default one is really hard to scroll. :|

Infected24, Mar 26, 2009
  12. SbM

cracky

does the vga plug work for anyone?

when hooked up to my lcd tv i can boot up into windows and itll automatically show up on my tv...doesnt work that way with osx... the only reason i ask is cause my screen is broken so I cant boot up into osx and change anything manually because...i cant see anything on my laptop screen lol

cracky, Mar 26, 2009
  13. SbM

jongleur

If I hot plug the VGA cable in while OSX is running, I get message that the "current input timing is not supported" display on the external LCD monitor. Same happens when I cold boot with VGA cable plugged in, though I do get to see (offset to the right) the Acer boot screen, and the Darwin booter screen and then the apple spinning gear start screen, however, once OSX starts proper, I get the same message as before.

Try the following starting with the VGA cable plugged in and the netbook off.

- Power on
    - When Darwin boot screen shows press enter to bring up the boot: prompt and type the following (including the quotes) and press enter

"Graphics Mode"="800x600x32"

This is a common resolution shared between the monitor and your netbook. OSX should then start displaying both screens (even though the netbook one is kaput), and then automatically change in to the resolution optimum for each.

jongleur, Mar 27, 2009
  14. SbM

jlawes

Hi Guys,

Im probably missing something but while doing these steps, i cannot use the touchpad and keyboard after a reboot. Am i missing something?

I backed up Keyboard.prefpane to my USB flash drive before installed 10.5.6, i then plugged in my usb keyboard and mouse, copied the keyboard.prefpane file back to /System/Library/PreferencesPanes and i then launched Kext Helper b7 and installed the AppleACPIPS2Nub.Kext and then rebooted but i still cannot use the touchpad and keyboard

jlawes, Mar 28, 2009
  15. SbM

stefanello

If you wanna you can eliminate part A - PREPARING THE INSTALLER with my Leopard Image (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4813225)

Cheers

if you are interested in, please keep this torrent alive!

stefanello, Mar 30, 2009
  16. SbM

yohko101

has anyone tried to get the sound working on the D150 model? or where can i find the posts related to Diablo's kext? thanks~!

yohko101, Apr 3, 2009
  17. SbM

brad0022

Alright. Not sure if my problem has been answered in this thread or another one but I don't don't have a lot of time to sift through the site. Ok I downloaded the iATKOS 5i. I installed the correct Toshiba 30gig drive in the SSD version. BIOS reads the drive. Next I found this post and followed the instructions to a t using OSX's Disk Utility. I tried to make a boot on the USB thumb drive 3 times. I followed the instructions closely every time. Every time I boot from the thumb drive. The screen is black with a blinking underscore line. Thats it. Nothing after that every time. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I dont really want to have to waste 80 bucks on an external from a brick n mortar store. But I may have to now.

brad0022, Apr 10, 2009
  18. SbM

Lopploella

brad0022,
    Try to install Chameleon on the USB drive. That has worked for me with the iDeneb distro (I can't remember if I tried it with the iATKOS).

Lopploella, Apr 10, 2009
  19. SbM

brad0022

Thanks man for advice. I took a little more time and saw on page 10 or so that I need the OX86Tools build 149. So I used that version and installed it via the Terminal. Its working now. Some reason build 150 wasn't working for me. Its in the install process as I type. Thanks to everyone here with tutorials and advice.

brad0022, Apr 10, 2009
  20. SbM

brad0022

Actually after 3 attempts to boot after installing iATKOS it would only get to the grey screen with the Apple logo then reboot. So I tried iDeneb and installed Chameleon on the USB drive and it installed and booted correctly. I did have to install it a few times. Sound and screen res didnt work on the first boot but worked on the 2nd and 3rd. It hangs and crashed often though.

brad0022, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question