Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 on Acer 532h and D257

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by sushibn, Jun 15, 2012.

1. sushibn

sushibn

I found this article recently.....on this site:

http://www.mymacnetbook.com/

Hope this will help.....someone.....lol

Okay, After reading the compatibility chart by Ed Gain I realized I had sucessfully gotten Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 running on my Acer D257, which was not on the chart, and also got it to run on my Acer 532h also. This method will work with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard also but I prefer to use Lion since it’s a newer operating system.

Before we get started, there is a bit more: I also created a quadruple boot with my laptops. I will create a new guide showing that but just for now I will go through getting Mac OS X running on the netbook. If anything goes wrong don’t be afraid to leave a comment and I will reply as quickly as possible.

Things needed:

Acer Aspire D257 or 532h
    To use Lion upgrade RAM to 2GB
    (DDR3 for the D257 and DDR2 for the 532h)
    iAtkos L1 (Lion 10.7.1)
    USB Keyboard and USB Mouse
    External USB DVD Drive
    Files for individual netbooks:

532h (Here)
    D257 (Here)
    10.7.4 Atom Kernel (Here)
    Before we begin ensure laptop is on power source.

Plug the External DVD Drive via USB to the netbook with the iAtkos L1 DVD already inserted, hit F12 to boot from other sources and choose the DVD.
    Press F8 to get to the menu and boot with the tag mach_atom
    Loading time will take some time on both netbooks, after the the first screen choose your desired language and continue
    Before beginning go to utilities on top and choose disk utility choose the hard drive and create a partition with MAC OS X (Journaled), hit the plus button on the bottom and make GUID Partition Table, Then create and we are ready to install MAC OS X. After closing disk utility the installation process will continue, now choose the partition and before hitting continue choose customize at the bottom left.
    Choose chameleon as the boot loader, create extra directory, remove RTC (will cause Kernel Panic plus not needed on Netbook), Use the 10.7.1 atom kernel in custom kernels, and then in drivers choose all the laptop accessories battery, sensor etc. no video drivers will be chosen or kernel panic, and for PS2 use both apple and voodoo, then do the same for sound.
    Now after everything is chosen to the specs of your individual laptop continue the installation until finished.
    When finished completely, we are ready for the first boot, at the menu screen we use the tags custom (this is the kernel) and arch=i386.
    Now this is where the USB Keyboard and USB Mouse comes in handy, plug them in and enter your info and password after we are on the desktop the keyboard can be unplugged but not the mouse. The Keyboard will function but not the trackpad as of yet.
    In the attached file use the show hidden files, move the /Extra folder to the desktop and create a new one that is not hidden drag it to the / where the first one was, and now drag all the contents into the new Extra folder now delete the mach_kernel that in the folder / and rename the kernel that is custom to mach_kernel.
    Replace the Extra file with the one in the correct folder for your laptop, use kext wizard to replace the applehda.kext with the 10.6.2 one so we do not get a kernel panic.
    I replaced the atheros cards with the Broadcom chip so if you decide to do this, use the working wifi kexts with kext wizard and replace the ones in system/library/extensions and that will make the broadcom chip work.
    After all the kexts have been replaced, open the permissions.txt file and then open terminal, sudo su and insert your password. With su permissions copy the commands one by one and then restart.
    Now you’re done with the 10.7.1 successfully.

Let’s continue to update to 10.7.4:

Download the 10.7.4 Combo update from here
    After the Combo Update has been installed replace the mach_kernel, with the new 10.7.4 mach_kernel you downloaded.
    Then once again replace the applehda.kext with the 10.6.2 one and the wifi kexts with the ones provided
    Re-run the terminal and the commands in the permissions.txt and all should be well
    Congrats, your netbook is now on 10.7.4!

Any questions, don’t be afraid to ask, this is my first guide so the better I get, the better I will provide information.

http://www.mymacnetbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/500x_acer-pine1.jpg

link where i found this article...

http://www.mymacnetbook.com/

Sushibn

sushibn, Jun 15, 2012
  2. sushibn

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

Good guide, with good links!!
    Hope you enjoy Lion, it certainly seems to run a lot better than Snow Leopard I think.
    Cheers

Paul

elPaulio, Jun 17, 2012
Ask a Question