MadWifi vs. ath5k module

Discussion in 'Linux' started by scottro, Nov 1, 2008.

1. scottro

scottro

This has been discussed before, but I'm wondering...

For those who you who have installed Fedora 10, Mepis8, Ubuntu Ibex or any of the others with an ath5k module that works....have you found the older MadWifi snapshots to be superior?

I do not get consistent results. For example, with F10, for quite awhile, the ath5k worked beautifully for me. However, recently, it has trouble getting a connection. The same with Mepis after a recent update.
    In Fedora, I replaced it with the MadWifi driver, and it went back to working well. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I'd be grateful for people's opinions. For Linpus users, this isn't really applicable, it uses MadWifi and its kernel doesn't support the wireless card.

Thank you for any input. It's more to satisfy my own curiosity, but I'm wondering if my experience is unique (lately--I know when F10 and Ibex first came out, many were finding the MadWifi driver to be superior, however, in later days, the ath5k seemed to work equally well.)

It's not an important question, so feel free to ignore it. :)

scottro, Nov 1, 2008
  2. scottro

redbook

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I tried both and found the madwifi to be superior in intrepid.
    Now for the upsetting part I find ndiswrapper with windows drivers to be vastly superior to both with the added advantage of a working LED.

redbook, Nov 9, 2008
  3. scottro

Infected24

Also, ndiswrapper using Windows drivers package (net5416.inf file) works PERFECT for me. No issues.

P.D. I'm using Intrepid Ibex.
    P.D. Like redbook said, Wifi Led Indicator works with this option.

Infected24, Nov 9, 2008
  4. scottro

QplQyer

Which version of ndiswrapper are you referring to? I installed Xubuntu recently and tried to get a connection with ndiswrapper, but it took a long time to connect (asking for the password many over and over again) and only worked if I manually associated my wireless card with the access point (WPA without broadcast). With the ath5k driver however, the connection is almost instant.

QplQyer, Nov 22, 2008
  5. scottro

dattaway

The ath5k modules are getting lots of attention on the linux kernel mailing list (lkml) and patches are making it onto the development kernel trees. If you want to install the latest "git" kernel or install the patches manually, it works pretty good. I've been running 2.6.28-git3 since it came out, but I don't recommend that for everyone!

dattaway, Nov 22, 2008
Ask a Question