Magic disappearing icons

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by SteveSol, Sep 17, 2008.

1. SteveSol

SteveSol

Hi all, I've been changing some of the standard desktop icons, mostly with success. I'm having bother with one though, the OpenOffice 'Writer' icon.

I downloaded a nice set of .png icons and placed them in /usr/share/pixmaps. I then used mousepad to edit the 'Writer' application launcher in /usr/share/applications, changing the icon= entry to one of the new icons in the Pixmaps folder.

When I boot the system, the new icon is there, but when the pointer is placed over it, it disappears and will not reappear until next reboot. I have done this with almost all of the other apps but this does not occur, they all work fine.

I have checked the icons, they are all standard .png files at 90 x 90 pixels. Can anyone shed any light on why only the 'Writer' application icon is playing up? It's one of those very minor but really annoying problems! Thanks.

SteveSol, Sep 17, 2008
  2. SteveSol

SteveSol

Problem solved. The issue appeared to have been caused by having duplicate icons, i.e. two different icons but with identical names. I renamed the one I wanted to use, edited the app launcher file in mousepad accordingly, and everything works good now. When I import icons in future, I'll rename them to ensure there is no duplication or conflict with existing icon files.

SteveSol, Sep 17, 2008
Ask a Question