Mandriva 2009 (gnome)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by redbook, Oct 17, 2008.

1. redbook

dack001

I can only speak for the KDE Version, but yes the battery drains a good bit faster :cry:

dack001, Nov 2, 2008
  2. redbook

dkazoch

Hello

I have Mandriva Gnome, (before KDE).

The battery live with GNOME is horrable compaired to KDE. Is there any tweak? Did anybode made the same experience? In KDE you have the dymanic CPU usage, i guess this saves a lot of power, i did not found anyting like that in Gnome (does not mean its not there, i am just not a Linux guru).

Any ideas, comments?

Thanks
    dan

dkazoch, Nov 3, 2008
  3. redbook

Tamrac

Right click on the panel and look at the options you have. Everything you need is right there. :D I have the dynamic CPU thing and battery indicator w/c I find to be better than the KDE version. Cheers. ;)

Tamrac, Nov 6, 2008
  4. redbook

ashragor

Hi everyone.
    I have a little question for the mandriva gnome users.
    I always liked this distro, so i tried to install it on my aao 110...but have to give up, cause 2 hours after i strat installing via USB, it was only at around 50%.
    Was it that long for you? if not, what must i do to install mandriva more quickly?
    Thanks.

ashragor, Nov 6, 2008
  5. redbook

Tamrac

2hrs? Mine only took about an hour.... hmmmm.... 1gb of RAM helps. and insall it on EXT2 not the default EXT3.

Tamrac, Nov 6, 2008
  6. redbook

Empty

Why should the filesystem be Ext2 instead of Ext3?
    Is it any way to find out what filesystem I have and change it from Ext3 to Ext2?

Empty, Nov 6, 2008
  7. redbook

rbil

You'd want ext2 over ext3 because the latter is a journaled file system which would cause more writes to the SSD and hence more wear and tear. ext3 is the same as ext2 but adds journaling.

If you ran the command "mount", it'll tell you what filesystem you're using on each drive or you could look in the fstab file.

A simple way to change from ext3 to ext2 is simply to do so in your fstab. But that doesn't really remove the journal. To do that, you'd have to work on an unmounted drive. So you'd need to do that from something like a liveCD booted from an external USB drive. The command:

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1

... would remove the journal from /dev/sda1 if it was formatted ext3 leaving it as an ext2 drive. Then you'd want to run fsck on the drive:

fsck.ext2 -f /dev/sda1

... and finally remove the .journal file if it's there.

Lastly, you'd want to edit the /etc/fstab file so that it is mounting the drive as ext2.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 6, 2008
  8. redbook

spaceholiday

I've been having a problem in which Mandriva hangs on the loading screen when I come out of hibernate. I end up having to force it to shut off and then restart.

I don't have a wifi LED either, but the hibernate issue is a bit more pressing.

Any thoughts?

spaceholiday, Nov 14, 2008
  9. redbook

donec

Which Mandriva are you using 2009 Gnome or KDE? It seems to make a difference the Gnome seems to work easier. With that said I looked at my settings and I don't show that hibernate is available only suspend. I don't use it ad don't trust it since it seems all laptops and all distros and Windows seem to sometimes have trouble with hibernate and suspend.

I have seen others say they don't have a wifi light and I don't really know what they mean. When I was using just Linpus as it came new the LED next to the wifi switch and symbol would flash occasionally and now with Mandriva 2009 Gnome it does the same thing but it did this when I tried Ubuntu also (which gave me many problems with wireless access). So just what is the light doing and what do you expect it to do?

donec, Nov 14, 2008
  10. redbook

Baza

The light is supposed to indicate when wifi is enabled, Running gnome myself no light

Baza, Nov 14, 2008
  11. redbook

Baza

Baza, Nov 14, 2008
  12. redbook

donec

My LED flashes about once every 3 seconds when in use. If I turn it off with the switch it flashes 4 times and then goes off for 10 seconds. It keeps repeating this until I turn it on and then it keeps flashing until the connection to the Internet then goes to flashing once every 3 seconds. So it sounds like it works fine to me.

donec, Nov 14, 2008
  13. redbook

Baza

Yes that what I'm getting now, with the above fix, although looking at other posts it should vary as wifi traffic varies. It blinks somewhat faster when i start firefox for example but then slows down.

Baza, Nov 14, 2008
  14. redbook

donec

I just ran speedtest.net to test my speed and while it was running the test the LED was flashing the entire time so it must be working as designed.

donec, Nov 14, 2008
  15. redbook

krisaxe

Hi,

i've created a pen drive boot of mandriva 2009 with the excellent UNetbootin program, and follwed the instructions on this page:
    http://www.eeextra.com/linux/installing ... e-box.html

unfortunately when mandriva stars loading it hangs for a while and then i get this error:

'cannot run /etc/init.d/rcS': no such file or directory

Any idea why this is happening? :cry:

cheers,

kris

krisaxe, Nov 15, 2008
  16. redbook

Baza

Baza, Nov 15, 2008
  17. redbook

krisaxe

Thanks very much that worked!

Pity the wifi doesn't work though, at least not using the live cd..

edit:actually it does work :cool:

krisaxe, Nov 15, 2008
  18. redbook

jhedrotten

well i just installed mandriva one 2009 gnome.

after about three hours of playing with it, i could say that i am completely dissatisfied [or rather disappointed] on how it runs on the aspire one. it is okay on my desktop but for my aspire one, i came to a conclusion that it's a no-no for me.

i could live with the extended boot time but with a lot of issues that comes and go, i think i cannot. one thing is the uneasy feeling that comes with an empty wifi led, and the inconvenience of the machine not having to mount my SD cards, lots of annoying errors when it does and even if it does not mount. made me scratch my head and the desire to throw my aspire one out of the window. not to mention several issues after hibernating.

i did those two tweaks that we have here, for the sd recognition and the headphones, but still, i can't stand how mandriva works on the aspire one. i also granted my username authorizations in regards to mounting/unmounting local and external media. and still all those error keeps popping up like hell, whether it became accessible or not.. the only things i appreciate is the gnome desktop [although i am a xfce fan], pre-installed f-spot, open office 3, pidgin and evolution and those added controls. although i couldn't take to live with those inconveniences that came with these.

maybe when i get back from work this morning, i'll try on reinstalling it with both card readers stuffed with cards and see if it will do better and if i could get to choose the sdhc as /home in the custom partition menu. If it does then i'll stick with mandriva. but if not, i am going to my heavily modded linpus lite and just wait for acer to update it, sad to say.

jhedrotten, Nov 20, 2008
  19. redbook

donec

I have a 16Gb SDHC in the left side SD card reader that is my home partition. The way I did it was to get a USB SD card reader $8 at Walmart. Then I plugged it into a USB slot with the SDHC card in it. Made sure I did not have any SD cards in any slot. Then I booted from a USB external CD and ran Mandriva 2009 Gnome. When it was loaded I setup my wireless and clicked on install Mandriva. When the choice to select the method of installation I chose (I believe it was called) custom. Anyway it was the one that allowed me to select the partitions I wanted. Now Mandriva does not see the SD cards so at this point so they can not be used for your partition choices. However! Mandriva does see the SDHC card when it is in the USB reader so I selected it as my home partition and selected Native Linux as the format type which is ext2. Then continued as normal. When the process was done I shut down. Then before restarting my AAO I removed the USB card reader and inserted the SDHC card in the SD reader on the left side where the power cable is and the turned on my computer. When it booted I selected the top setting Mandriva and it found and used the SDHC card no problem. You need to know that if you remove the SDHC card from the SD card reader on the left side while your system is running you will have to power down since you will not have any of your setup to use, but when you insert it with the AAO shut down and reboot every thing will work as id did. Anyway then I used Rbil's backup script and made a backup of both the SSD and the SDHC home partition and now if anything happens all I do is restore from the script. Works great and I still have the USB reader in case I want to reinstall or format via MCC another SD card for some reason. hope this helps.

donec, Nov 20, 2008
  20. redbook

jhedrotten

Yes that was helpful. I was offline when I installed it, would that make a difference? Btw, I a have several card readers here, let me try the trick that you thought me. Thanks.

jhedrotten, Nov 20, 2008
Ask a Question