Mandriva 2010.0 from USB stick :)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by RockDoctor, Feb 22, 2010.

1. RockDoctor

RockDoctor

Grabbed a 4GB USB stick, formatted it with an ext2 filesystem, and installed Mandriva 2010.0 onto it (a hard drive-type install, not a liveCD on a USB stick) using my desktop PC. Didn't have much free space, so I decided to replace GNOME with LXDE. Not sure if I got rid of everything I could, but the USB stick now has about 1 MB of free space on it.

Booted the USB stick on my AA1. Bottom line: works great. As with Ubuntu, I needed to add the following line to /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1
    to enable recognition of a hot-plugged SD card in the right slot.

The most amazing aspect of this is that the boot process is not annoyingly slow.

RockDoctor, Feb 22, 2010
  2. RockDoctor

Winfried

How do you do the hard drive type install??
    I have a USB harddrive from samsung with three partitions; one I want to use for the Mandriva installation: 8 GB. The second I use for backup of the 8GB SSHD of my AA1 and the third I use for my data.
    But how do I do the harddrive install?

Winfried

Winfried, May 21, 2010
  3. RockDoctor

gtdiller

I am using Aspire One A0A 110 - 1831.

The internet browser no longer works (seems to load but nothing comes up on screen)

The email program gives message: "cannot find server", but does receive some e-mails very slowly; cannot send emails.

Skype works fine.

Suggestions?

Will Mandriva 2009 work on this netbook?

gtdiller, Jan 24, 2011
  4. RockDoctor

donec

If you have an external CD/DVD then you just boot from the Live CD and when you start install select the proper drive and partition for the install. Of course you have to have the external hard drive connected so the install program will see it. Once it is installed then when you boot press F12 and select the external USB hard drive to boot from.

donec, Jan 24, 2011
  5. RockDoctor

donec

Sounds like maybe one or more of your extensions have not matched up to your latest version of Firefox. Try starting Firefox in the safe mode and see how it works.

donec, Jan 24, 2011
Ask a Question