Mandriva KDE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dudut, Jan 4, 2009.

1. dudut

dudut

Hi all,

I have tried Mandriva KDE on virtual machine on my desktop. it's GUI is very nice. I think i like it :)

But, regarding the performance, anyone has tried this OS on AAO ? is there any tweak to make it run smoothly?

dudut, Jan 4, 2009
  2. dudut

Tamrac

Yes it does run smoothly. I've used KDE before on the AAO. But found Gnome to look just as good(customized), and performs better.

Tamrac, Jan 7, 2009
  3. dudut

Dulwithe

Mandriva KDE 4 is excellent on the AAO. KDE 4.2 version of Mandriva is coming out soon (they just released an alpha2 or beta2 version). You might want to wait for that to be fully released.

I have experienced no performance issues with KDE 4 on this notebook. Absolutely A-ok!!!

D.

Dulwithe, Jan 27, 2009
  4. dudut

markh

I'm also considering giving Mandriva a try - I've had a noodle around with it on my desktop on live cd already. Could anyone give me an idea of the pro's and cons of kde and gnome? Particularly, I'm addicted to my swift linpus boot time, so it would be nice to know if one was noticably faster than the other.

markh, Jan 27, 2009
  5. dudut

jbernardo

I haven't tried gnome (can't stand the "developer knows best" philosophy), but I don't think it will be much different loading. Maybe the mono libraries will be heavy, I don't know. I did try LXDE, and it was faster, but not enough to make me switch.

jbernardo, Jan 28, 2009
  6. dudut

dack001

AFAIK, KDE (which i use) is a lot easier to customize than Gnome.
    But since the last time i have used gnome was around the times of ubuntu 3/4 or something like this, i could be wrong (still, i never heared someone saying anything different).
    I use KDE 4.2 and 3.5 on my AA150X, the later if batterypower REALY matters (IE, if i forgot to take my powercord with me), it lasts a tiny little bit longer.

dack001, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question