Mandriva saying Temp Directory is out of space

Discussion in 'Linux' started by markw10, Apr 25, 2009.

1. markw10

markw10

I have Mandriva Linux 2009 PowerPack on my netbook which i installed about 2 weeks ago. I am using the KDE 3.5 desktop and the system has 2GB Memory, 160GB Hard Drive space. As far as I remember I used all default install options when I installed.

Tonight i tried to install some system updated but shortly after it started it gave errors that there was not enough space. I then tried to reboot and it said "Temp directory /tmp) is out of disk space. KDE is unable to start.

I know with linux there are 3 partitions, swap, and something like a partition for programs and data. Would this have to do anything with it? Or is there a temp directory somewhere that ran out of space. How do i fix this issue? I am new to Linux so don't know a lot and can't even boot into this system now. How would I fix a problem like this?

markw10, Apr 25, 2009
  2. markw10

donec

If you look in the file browser under File System in the tree you will see a folder called tmp. Try and delete all the files in it to see if it helps. Since it is a temporary folder then deleting the files in it should not cause a problem.

donec, Apr 25, 2009
  3. markw10

dack001

Ah, thats anoying :(
    If you chose the interactive boot (press esc during boot and then press "i" when it asks for it), you may be able to access the console and navigate to the temp-folder. But this isn't relay convenient.
    If you have a usb cd/dvd-drive, you could burn a linux live-cd on it (google helps) and boot that. It would run from the cd and allow you to search your partitions for the temp folder and delete the problematic files.

dack001, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question