Math Apps

Discussion in 'Linux' started by vasjpan2, May 1, 2009.

1. vasjpan2

vasjpan2

I want to install Octave, Maxima, emacs and latex on linpus.
    I got the Fedora 10 versions and keep running into repomd.xml problems.
    If I need to install a different OS (Quantian is prolyy preferred) what happens to the drivers?
    I have a floppy and a CD from colordrives.com and can boot Quantian from that to see.
    If I don't get any help with repomd, that is my choice.

Also, is there any util to change XL numbers so OpenOffice doesn't turn them into strings?

I could also do a lot more with the DOSBOX that works on linpus if I knew (yes, I could try, but it could mess up)
    I could run a lot of old DOS apps that do a lot of cool things (they worked on my 486 DOS 6.22).
    My primary fear is how will DOS affect the USB because w98 doesn't see USB from DOS.

If I knew all the device drivers will work, I could be quite happy running DOS 6.22 only on the AAO.

BTW, I like the 8.9" size - which is why I kept my Compaq Aeor Contura so long.

Please try to send me an email reply as well because I'm not that facile at flipping forums

vasjpan2, May 1, 2009
  2. vasjpan2

pling

Did you use the Acer's Add/Remove programs tool? It's avoided dependency problems for me so far. Maxima and Octave are in the default depository. You'll need to put the machine into Advanced Mode, but that's easy - just google.

I suspect you'd be better on a distro with an actual community on the Acer so that you're not the only one fixing bugs.

pling, May 5, 2009
  3. vasjpan2

Guest Guest

I use KILE for latex, seems to work OK, it is immediately available on the remove add programme.

One problem is that KDVI doesn't seem to work, so make a pdf file and then look at that not 100% but if anyone has got KDVI to work that would be good. Whenever I try to download it get some sort of conflict message with kcolor? :shock:

Alan

Guest, Jun 1, 2009
  4. vasjpan2

RockDoctor

Fedora 10 and the Fedora 11 preview both run pretty well on the AA1, if switching distros is an option you're willing to consider.

RockDoctor, Jun 1, 2009
Ask a Question